Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low photo resolution od iCloud

My photos resolution is lower then downloaded by iCloud on PC, than it is on my phone, 4x less pixels.

Why is that?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 1:42 AM

Photos on iCloud (on your serwer) ale fine, it's the photos downloaded by iCloud for Windows that are smaller.

Resolution of the photos downloaded on PC is 2048x1536, original resolution is 4032x3024.

I'm using iCloud for Windows, installed from Microsoft Store. I have Windows 10 with all latest updates.

In app description it says that it has been made better lately and saves disc storage, which I understand is the reason why photos are downloaded smaller.

Well, this is a step backwards. If you sell a phone with a 12MP camera, I'm paying to use those 12MP.

Then you approve an app which doesn't utilise your own product's capabilities.

Something went wrong here.

You could say that I can log in to iCloud through a web browser and download my photos in original resolution manually, but this would make iCloud for Windows useless.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2020 1:42 AM in response to Brian_P7

Photos on iCloud (on your serwer) ale fine, it's the photos downloaded by iCloud for Windows that are smaller.

Resolution of the photos downloaded on PC is 2048x1536, original resolution is 4032x3024.

I'm using iCloud for Windows, installed from Microsoft Store. I have Windows 10 with all latest updates.

In app description it says that it has been made better lately and saves disc storage, which I understand is the reason why photos are downloaded smaller.

Well, this is a step backwards. If you sell a phone with a 12MP camera, I'm paying to use those 12MP.

Then you approve an app which doesn't utilise your own product's capabilities.

Something went wrong here.

You could say that I can log in to iCloud through a web browser and download my photos in original resolution manually, but this would make iCloud for Windows useless.

Nov 9, 2020 7:12 PM in response to Camillii

Hello Camillii,

We understand the resolution of your photos are not the same as what is showing in iCloud on your PC. We'd love to help. When using iCloud Photos on your iPhone it automatically uploads the photos and videos you take and stores them in their original format at full resolution. More info can be found here: Use iCloud Photos on iPhone. Can you tell us what resolution it shows on the PC?

Enjoy your day!

Nov 20, 2020 6:32 AM in response to Camillii

I can confirm this is the case. Using the automatic syncing in the iCloud for Windows app, all the photos are reduced in resolution. You can download them manually through iCloud Photos in the web browser (by long pressing the download button and selecting Unmodified Original) and get the proper resolution. Is this a bug or is it happening by design? Very bad, as many people relying on this and haven't bothered to check the pixel size might not be aware the quality of their photos and videos are being compromised on the downloaded version (they are still fine in the cloud).

Nov 20, 2020 6:38 AM in response to Brian_P7

The photos and videos are stored in the cloud in original quality, which is good, but the iCloud For Windows app's automatic downloads are reducing the quality without warning. Videos shot at 1920 x 1080 are downloaded on the PC at 1280 x 720 and photos taken on an iPhone 12 are being reduced to 1536 x 2048, when they should be 3024 x 4032. Is this a 'feature' or a bug?

Nov 21, 2020 12:18 PM in response to asdf_5432

I clicked it by mistake, I read your answer and thought it was on point, there was a button which said "Correct answer" so I clicked it. I guess I was missled by it, 'cause obviously this issue is not solved. This button shoud say "Sovled".

Is there any way to undo it? I feel like no one is taking this seriously I I helped them by mistake :D

Nov 25, 2020 5:59 PM in response to Camillii

This basically happens on my PC almost any time I change anything with iCloud or get a new phone (which I did a couple of weeks ago). It's horrible. Eventually I seem to change enough things to magically get it fixed, but I can never figure out what it is.

On forums, you have to scroll through of generic answers from people who don't read your question, so let's get that out of the way:

1) I don't need a link on how to set up iCloud.

2) I don't want to have to click on the cloud icon on the iCloud website photo page, I want all the photos to download full-res to my PC automatically. That's the purpose of the iCloud client.

3) Changing Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC does not always work.

The problem is that the functionality does not always work. I suspect it has to do with some setting that gets out of whack because of changing phones, but can never figure out what it is.

But basically, this is a bad user experience because the download resolution should be controlled by the client on the PC/Mac, not the phone. The phone is uploading full-res, so that *should* have nothing to do with it.

If I find a solution and I can find this thread again, I will post it.

Jan 20, 2021 2:28 PM in response to Camillii

This is happening to me on iPhone 12 Mini. Old 6s connected to the same Apple ID is still working as it was. Images coming from iCloud to Windows are full resolution, but those taken by iPhone 12 are coming at a reduced resolution, with some random exceptions. The only way to get the originals is to download via web interface straight from iCloud. Also this is happening with camera set to max compatibility. If I switch to efficiency setup, all images are coming at a reduced resolution, even downloaded manually from web interface.

Feb 7, 2021 4:43 AM in response to Camillii

Well, I had the same issue with iPhone 12Pro, never before on 8 Plus. I notices under Settings -> Camera -> Formats it's checked "High Efficiency". Then, on Settings -> Photos -> Transfer to Mac or PC I personaly marked "Keep Originals" when setting up my new iPhone. And it uploaded the original 'high efficient' pic in HEIF format. After changing this option to "Automatic" the photos are shown as .JPG and in 4032x3024 reolution. This worked for me.

Low photo resolution od iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.