Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud files not appearing on Mac

A few months ago, I had to factory reset one of my Macs and after logging into iCloud my Desktop and Documents files and folders never appeared. Since then I received a new Mac, logged into my iCloud and nothing appeared either. When I create files on the Mac, those don't sync up either.

This only happens on Macs. On iPhone, iPad and iCloud on the web, files appear. I'm using Catalina, but on the Big Sur beta it happened too.

I've tried the following:

• Waiting it out, more than a day running
  • Logging out of iCloud, restarting and logging in again
  • Reinstalling macOS
  • Clearing PRAM
  • Creating a new computer user and logging into iCloud in there
  • Deleting iCloud cache on Library/Clouddocs
  • Killing the bird and cloudd processes

Logging into another user's iCloud account on the same computer results in their files correctly appearing after a few minutes, so I think the problem might be on my account. Curiously, only files on the Desktop and Documents container do not sync. Files on 3rd party app containers sync without issue.

Checking at the logs from brctl, I see the following pattern repeating endlessly:

[dbg  2020-11-05 21:18:58.940-0300] bird[348]   o got a deletion in operation <private>

[info 2020-11-05 21:18:58.940-0300] bird[348]  ┃  record was deleted: <private>

[info 2020-11-05 21:18:58.941-0300] bird[348]  ┗  end

[dbg  2020-11-05 21:18:58.941-0300] bird[348]   o received updated server change token <private> client change token (null) in operation <private> status 1

[dbg  2020-11-05 21:18:58.941-0300] bird[348]  ┃  ┏  saving inconsistent sync-down batch (edits:0 deletions:200) directly:NO

[dbg  2020-11-05 21:18:59.007-0300] bird[348]  ┃  ┃  broadcasting to framework clients container <private> change BRContainerlastServerUpdateKey=Fri Dec 29 19:17:14 0000

[dbg  2020-11-05 21:18:59.007-0300] bird[348]  ┃  ┗  end

[info 2020-11-05 21:18:59.007-0300] bird[348]  ┗  end

[dbg  2020-11-05 21:18:59.678-0300] bird[348]   o got a deletion in operation <private>

The timestamp that appears on the line:

BRContainerlastServerUpdateKey=Fri Dec 29 19:17:14 0000

Is always the same when it repeats. I checked and the only December 29 that falls on a Friday was on 2017.

Also, when giving focus to a Finder window, the following text which is interesting:

[dbg  2020-11-05 21:36:54.825-0300] bird[348]  ┃  Not registering for pushes on container <private> because sync is disabled due to no corresponding app being installed

This repeated about a hundred times in a fraction of a second.

So, does anyone know if there's something I'm at able to do from my end? Or is it something internal that may need more involvement?

Thanks for reading!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 8:26 AM

Hi, thanks for answering.

Yes, I did restart in safe mode before, I just forgot to list it in the steps I already did. That didn't help.

What did work, though, was waiting it out... longer. Way longer. It took about a week with the computer on without it going to sleep, and eventually my files started appearing.

So it solved itself in the end, but I don't think it's ideal at all, since many users would just have given up in that time for the lack of feedback. First of all, it should be a lot faster to sync. If it can't do it faster, it isn't a deal breaker, however the lack of feedback is. A single line somewhere saying it would take some days to display anything would help I think.

Anyways, thanks for looking into it!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 8:26 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hi, thanks for answering.

Yes, I did restart in safe mode before, I just forgot to list it in the steps I already did. That didn't help.

What did work, though, was waiting it out... longer. Way longer. It took about a week with the computer on without it going to sleep, and eventually my files started appearing.

So it solved itself in the end, but I don't think it's ideal at all, since many users would just have given up in that time for the lack of feedback. First of all, it should be a lot faster to sync. If it can't do it faster, it isn't a deal breaker, however the lack of feedback is. A single line somewhere saying it would take some days to display anything would help I think.

Anyways, thanks for looking into it!

Nov 10, 2020 9:03 AM in response to Luis Santander

Hi Luis Santander,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand you're unable to access data from iCloud under your user account on a Mac. We'll be happy to help.

Excellent job with the troubleshooting steps that were performed. An additional step we recommend to perform is to restart the Mac in safe mode. This helps verify the startup disk, deletes some system caches and more. Here's an article with additional details and the proper steps to take: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If that doesn't help, we suggest to contact Apple Support to review this further. You can contact them through this link here: Get Support

Best regards.

iCloud files not appearing on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.