Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(HELP) Non functioning Macbook Air 2018 Speakers

I have here a Macbook Air 2018 which seems to have speaker issues. When comparing my macbook pro 2018 speaker setting with my Air, I noticed that the Master Volume is unchecked but speaker 1 & 2 can be adjusted separately and this changes the volume output of either speakers of the macbook pro. But with my Air, the master volume can be changed but the speaker 1 & 2 are dimmed and perpetually the left with is zero, there is also no number indicating the decibel and it cannot be checked nor unchecked. Another is when I insert a headphone jack to my pro, the built-in speaker from the Audio Devices window changes logo to become a headphone icon from a speaker one. I cannot make a multi output device as the built -in speaker becomes the icon for the headphones. This is different with my Air, when I insert a headphone jack, another device pops out and is named external speakers, i can create multi output device and combine the macbook air speakers and the eternal one to output at the same time but of course nothing is still coming out of the macbook air built in speakers, the speaker 1 and 2 scrubber are still to the far left and dimmed box without a check. When I combine the external and internal speakers, using multi output feature from the Audio Devices window, there is small notification icon below the name for Air speakers that looks like the finder icon and a small clock with an underline. Can someone help me solve what is wrong with my speakers? I tried reseting the NVRAM, anf by checking via Terminal, the NVRAM doesnt even hold any control over my speakers just the time and screen brightness upon checking, I dont know how to solve this as nothing else is wrong with the MAcbook Air, Finger print is okay even the mics. I also checked the headphones, the individual speaker control 1 & 2 is also disabled but it had a balance scrubber which I can move left to right to increase or decrease volume of the individual speakers of the headphones, but sounds are coming out fine, macbook air doesnt

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 8:09 PM

It is not muted, I have checked it. I have tried quiting th audio process, deleted the plist for audio but nothing works.

I mistakenly pressed solved.

IT IS NOT SOLVED. Help

How to remove solved status, I was trying to edit my post to add I also went to the Midi options and when testing each speaker no test sounds comes out

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2020 8:09 PM in response to snowleapard2020

It is not muted, I have checked it. I have tried quiting th audio process, deleted the plist for audio but nothing works.

I mistakenly pressed solved.

IT IS NOT SOLVED. Help

How to remove solved status, I was trying to edit my post to add I also went to the Midi options and when testing each speaker no test sounds comes out

(HELP) Non functioning Macbook Air 2018 Speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.