Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after updating Apple TV HD and HomePod stereo pair to 14.2 sound for videos no longer plays on the HomePods

I updated my HomePods and AppleTV HD to 14.2. I can no longer set the audio output device to be my HomePod stereo pair. I have reset both sets of devices, I get navigation sounds over the HomePods, but once a video starts playing the sound comes out of the horrible tv speaker.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 5:23 PM

Despite what many people are writing, you can still use your HomePod pair (or single) with your AppleTV-HD and TV using tvOS 14.2 and HomePod OS 14.2. The AppleTV setting for "Audio Output" no longer shows up on an ATV-HD in tvOS 14.2 but it does as "Default Audio Output" on an ATV-4K. To get paired HomePods as speakers using an ATV-HD, you have to use the Remote. Press and hold the TV button on the Remote until the control panel shows up, then select the AirPlay-2 icon and select your paired HomePods (or a single one) from the displayed list. You get stereo as before tvOS 14.2 but not the Dolby Audio--that needs a ATV-4K.

It took me frustrating ages to find this method. See <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809#appletv>

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2020 5:23 PM in response to greatnorthwoods

Despite what many people are writing, you can still use your HomePod pair (or single) with your AppleTV-HD and TV using tvOS 14.2 and HomePod OS 14.2. The AppleTV setting for "Audio Output" no longer shows up on an ATV-HD in tvOS 14.2 but it does as "Default Audio Output" on an ATV-4K. To get paired HomePods as speakers using an ATV-HD, you have to use the Remote. Press and hold the TV button on the Remote until the control panel shows up, then select the AirPlay-2 icon and select your paired HomePods (or a single one) from the displayed list. You get stereo as before tvOS 14.2 but not the Dolby Audio--that needs a ATV-4K.

It took me frustrating ages to find this method. See <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809#appletv>

after updating Apple TV HD and HomePod stereo pair to 14.2 sound for videos no longer plays on the HomePods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.