Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Messages notifications after update to iOS 14.2

Hi.

Yesterday I updated my iPhone XS to iOS 14.2. Today I noticed that since that update, I’m not receiving notifications from iMessages and normal SMS’s in Messages app. New messages arriving but there are no sound or plate, not notification number over an icon too. Messages appear and are marked like a “read” already. It’s very frustrating since I heavily rely on text messages and need to track app by myself to not miss any messages. Sometimes notification appear but mostly there are no sign of new message

I have Apple Watch too and there are no notifications there as well. Only messages appear in conversations.

Any idea what’s the reason of that and where can I search for a fix. My phone is nearly unusable now, since most what I’m doing is texting.

Thanks.

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 12:27 PM

As far as I know, this is an issue that other people are having as well (including me).

You can report the bug here: www.apple.com/feedback

and make sure that your iPhone is always updated to the latest iOS version.

95 replies

Nov 11, 2020 8:59 PM in response to Caladean

I have this problem which I just noticed in the last week or so as well (probably since iOS 14.2) - some messages don't have notifications and are essentially already marked as 'read' on arrival. Doesn't happen to all SMS's, but often enough that you have to constantly keep opening your individual conversations regularly during the day to check whether any messages have arrived.

It's already caused some frustration on the other end with people annoyed that I haven't replied when I didn't even know I'd received a message because it arrived in the 'read' state.

I agree that this is a critical bug that compromises the SMS (and potentially iMessage) functionality of the iPhone entirely.

Nov 16, 2020 10:02 AM in response to Caladean

My wife and I recently received 12 Pro-Max with 14.2

Mine works correctly, and on hers imessage, sms or group does not work.

1. Did a complete erase/factory reset
  2. redid the setup
  3. same issue

On her X model, texting works find, even though its will not make calls

So she is having to use both, one for texting and other for calls...

MOST ANNOYING.

And from what have been reading, its across many Carriers, and even older iPhone all with iOS 14.2

Also there is an issue with the Bluetooth when using the Hearing aid feature...

REALLY Apple,, did you even fully verify ,, or are you using the "We test in production" methodology ???

Nov 16, 2020 9:28 AM in response to Caladean

i signed up for apple forums. com just to say hello i have this same problem too and it is really unacceptable because i have People in my life that have Needs, and me not responding to them for hours because i have NO idea they tried to contact me is, not good (in fact it is bad, even). this can have massive consequences if someone is, you know, in a medical emergency or whatever.

the real kicker is that it tells them that i read the message already, so they think i'm purposefully ignoring them. as stated previously, this is bad also. thank you for your time choash out

Nov 12, 2020 2:36 AM in response to jump289

Yeah...

Worst part of it that I noticed is that sender of iMessage sees his message not as "delivered" but "read at <date>". So almost immediately, sender thinks that I read a message he sent but I'm not even aware that anything came to my phone. I tried different workarounds like killing app after each use etc. but nothing helps.

I hope that quickfix for that will come soon. I'm not planning to go back to android but the way iPhone works now makes my life and my business very hard to handle daily.

Also, if you have such issues, please report it through link in first message on this thread. I guess devs are not in this forums and only through official reporting site we can highlight scale of a problem.

Nov 16, 2020 10:38 AM in response to Caladean

Yep! Add me to the list of people having this problem. I’ll get a notification for a text message, but none after that so I’m constantly missing people’s replies to my messages sent to them. When this happens, I’m not getting notifications on my Apple Watch either.

Is anyone else getting sick of all these bugs introduced to every new version of iOS?? It just gets worse.

Nov 18, 2020 2:45 PM in response to Caladean

Hello everyone,

so I Updated my iPhone Se towards the IOS 14.2 but as everyone else I have problems with it because I don’t receive any notifications when someone reply to my message and apparently it marks as “read” right away which is not okay because I don’t receive any notifications that someone message me. Do someone know how to fix this horrible bug on this IOS 14.2 I should of never updated please help thanks.

adrian

Nov 21, 2020 2:00 PM in response to michaelba-dk

I asked my older brother because his gf also has the same issue and she told me is because of the update it's really bad and the bad software update mess the our phone and our messages up that is why we have the issue and I guess we have to wait until another new update is going to launch to fix these bugs and everything I hate this update and apple ain't doing nothing about it.

Nov 26, 2020 4:37 AM in response to Caladean

I have had a similar issue after upgrading to iOS 14.2: messages would not arrive unless I had Whatsapp on the foreground. Facetime would not ring unless I had it in the foreground. I noticed that mine was not a notifications issue. It was about apps not refreshing properly in the background. This is what seems to have solved it for me: disable app refresh in the background (General>Background app refresh), restart the phone, enable it back. See if that helps.

Nov 26, 2020 5:07 AM in response to Caladean

Just a thought - because I had a similar situation a few months ago (prior to iOS 14). Try this:

turn off all notifications for iMessage

log out of imessage

turn on notifications

Power cycle the phone somewhere in there...not sure what the right sequence is. Also, in my case, a carrier settings update was involved - that was Verizon in July.

No Messages notifications after update to iOS 14.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.