Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect badge notifications on messages

I’ve read all my messages in my iPhone 13, yet have a persistent red badge indicator that I still have 13 unread messages. I’ve updated ios, turned off notifications, restarted the phone & then turned notifications back on - still those 13 phantom unread text messages☹️

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 9:56 AM

I've also tried marking all as read and scrolling through all my messages, yet my unread messages still shows 12 on my iPhone 13 Mini iOS 16.2. What fixed is for me was triggering "Hey Siri, read my messages"

40 replies

Dec 16, 2022 6:51 PM in response to Fidel2002

Hi Fidel2002, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you. Do you have a different Apple device that is signed in to the same Apple ID?

If yes, are you experiencing a similar issue with your other device? These details can help us in isolating the issue.

Let's try to tag all messages as Read.

1. Launch the Messages app
  2. Tap edit on the upper left-hand corner
  3. Tap Select Messages
  4. Tap Read All on the lower left-hand corner

Take care!

Dec 7, 2023 2:34 PM in response to Fidel2002

Hi, here's a brief step-by-step of the resolutions. With an “automated” solution for those that have a high count (like I had).

Firstly, if you have a car with Siri on CarPlay, you'll probably prefer @Techloop's solution. Check it out at the end.

Otherwise, the trick is that Siri can read your past unread messages. The counter is shown because, while Siri reads the latest message in all conversations, some unread messages remain inside your conversations.

Here's the basic trick:

1. Say, "Hey Siri, read my messages."
  2. Interrupt Siri after each message by saying, "Hey Siri, next."

Thanks to @tying for this!

Now for my "automated" version:

1. Get a second phone.
  2. Place your iPhone out of hearing range, then record yourself saying the following with pauses: "(1-second break) Hey Siri (1-second break) Next! (2-second break)."
  3. Place your iPhone and the second phone next to each other in a quiet environment.
  4. Command Siri with "Hey Siri, read my messages."
  5. Play your recorded audio on loop.
  6. If it glitches, you might need to repeat, "Hey Siri, read my messages."
  7. Your recorded audio should be about 6 seconds long, so the "automated" solution will take roughly 10 minutes for every 100 unread messages.
  8. Enjoy a proper message counter ❤️

Techloop wrote:

My Approach: I've devised a more efficient strategy by employing Siri on CarPlay. Leveraging the skip button feature, I managed to handle 500 messages in less than 10 minutes. This new method significantly streamlines the process compared to the conventional approach, enhancing both speed and efficacy.

May 2, 2023 5:26 PM in response to ryingg

"Hey Siri, read my unread messages" works in my case however there are still 140 messages to go. There has to be a better way! OK - After Siri reads your message, the ask is always "Do you want to reply to the group?" and the answer is always "No". So as Siri starts reading a message, tap the Siri circle and say "no". Siri starts dictating the next message, tap the Siri circle and say "no". Repeat. This cycle is probably ~3-4 seconds. I'm down to 117.

Sep 24, 2023 6:51 PM in response to ryingg

This fixed the issue on my iPhone 13 where 22 messages were unread. The issue is likely due to conversation threads where the most recent message is read and the ones before have been left unread. Apple needs to find a fix. If Siri can detect these unread messages, they are known to the iOS and must show up in unread messages. This is a long standing issue continuing over several generations of iOS

Oct 22, 2023 5:19 AM in response to Fidel2002

Problem: The iPhone messages counter indicates unread messages, but a search for these messages yields no results.

Cause: It seems iOS has a phenomenon resembling ghost messages, inaccessible unless each sender is individually opened to view all messages.

Typical Solution: The only viable resolution is utilizing Siri and instructing it to read messages, a time-consuming process that took approximately 20 minutes for 100 messages.

My Approach: I've devised a more efficient strategy by employing Siri on CarPlay. Leveraging the skip button feature, I managed to handle 500 messages in less than 10 minutes. This new method significantly streamlines the process compared to the conventional approach, enhancing both speed and efficacy.

May 2, 2023 5:37 PM in response to glenfromplantation

"Hey Siri, read my unread messages" works in my case however there are still 140 messages to go. There has to be a better way! OK - After Siri reads your message, the ask is always "Do you want to reply?" or "Do you want to reply to the group?" and the answer is always "No". So as Siri starts reading a message, tap the Siri circle and say "no". Siri starts dictating the next message, tap the Siri circle and say "no". Repeat. This cycle is probably ~3-4 seconds. I'm down to 117.

Oct 5, 2023 2:44 AM in response to Fidel2002

The similar issue happened to me on my Mac. There was 1 red notification badge on Messages app on Mac (macOS Ventura 13.5.2), even though there was no unread messages at all. As @ryingg suggested, I told Siri on Mac like "Read my message". Siri started reading a message that I didn't recognize (maybe a junk message?). The red badge disappeared after Siri reading the message. Thank you @ryingg for leaving the answer here!

Incorrect badge notifications on messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.