Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Screen Scratch

I acquired an iPhone 12 on October 31. By November 4, there was a deep scratch or crack across the lower part of the screen. A technician at an official Apple service centre concluded that I had a scratch and that it was a cosmetic issue not covered by AppleCare. This decision has been confirmed by Apple Support, although they obviously have not seen the phone.

This is the fifth iPhone I've owned; none of the previous screens displayed any substantial scratching despite never being covered by a protector.

It is a huge disappointment to have this problem so early on in the life of the phone. I am certain that it had not come in contact with keys or coins.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 12:12 PM

You can return your phone for full refund within 14 days of purchase. No questions asked. Good luck with whatever else you choose to buy. Samsung and Google all use the newer formula glass on their phones, so if you buy one of those, make sure you put a screen protector on them or you'll have the very same thing.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 12:12 PM in response to Weavypoos

You can return your phone for full refund within 14 days of purchase. No questions asked. Good luck with whatever else you choose to buy. Samsung and Google all use the newer formula glass on their phones, so if you buy one of those, make sure you put a screen protector on them or you'll have the very same thing.

Nov 8, 2020 11:56 AM in response to pmooney10

Glass scratches. The fact you've not had one scratch before means nothing. The predecessor to iPhone 12, had a screen which scratched at Mohs 6. iPhone 12 can be scratched closer to Mohs 7, but it is in fact glass, which can still scratch.

As you've learned, Apple considers this a cosmetic issue and your phone's screen is not eligible for replacement under your iPhone warranty. So, put a screen protector on your phone to protect your phones screen from further scratches, which without a screen protector are likely.

BTW., coins and keys are most unlikely going to scratch an iPhone screen. Dust, which often includes quartz and rock particles most certainly can and do scratch iPhone screens. If you keep your phone in your pants pocket for example, with stone washed jeans, there will always be residual tiny grains of stone in your pockets.

Nov 22, 2020 11:46 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Really?

If that's the case then Apple can have my iPhone 12 mini back that has scratched after only 6 days.

Whereas my iPhone 7 actually looks in better nick.

"Tough is great, but we also wanted to make it scratch-resistant. So, using the same dual ion-exchange process we use on the back glass, we protect against nicks, scratches, and everyday wear and tear."

Nov 25, 2020 3:11 PM in response to Weavypoos

That's not a casual, you don't know where it came from scratch. That's a fall on some hard surface, like gravel or concrete type scratch. If your phone comes in contact with something really hard, it's going to scratch.

In your situation, I'm not sure what Apple's position will be. The phone screen has been damaged and that didn't happen on its own.

iPhone 12 Screen Scratch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.