Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac wifi on or off? If already connected via ethernet to router. I want phone to get clean wifi signal

if my iMac is connected to my router's wifi via ethernet cable, should I turn off wifi on my iMac? ie is there a conflict? What if I have two imacs in the house and both are connected to router via ethernet. Is there a problem ever with handoff ? thanks

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 5:32 PM

You can have a Mac connected to a router with both ethernet (cable) and WiFi at the same time. I do that at work all the time, and also at home. The Mac uses whichever connection is fastest. Turning off WiFi is also ok, but it's fine to have it on.

The above is true for one or multiple Macs. Your phone will get a clean WiFi signal regardless of how you connect the Macs, ethernet or WiFi or both.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2020 5:32 PM in response to momomentous

You can have a Mac connected to a router with both ethernet (cable) and WiFi at the same time. I do that at work all the time, and also at home. The Mac uses whichever connection is fastest. Turning off WiFi is also ok, but it's fine to have it on.

The above is true for one or multiple Macs. Your phone will get a clean WiFi signal regardless of how you connect the Macs, ethernet or WiFi or both.

iMac wifi on or off? If already connected via ethernet to router. I want phone to get clean wifi signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.