Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple volume turned down when using headphones

For some reason, Apple have decided to let my phone analyse how I’m using headphones when listening to music, and then unexpectedly turning down the volume without even asking me. I can turn up the volume again, but this is extremely annoying.

I find this a problem because:-

this was not mentioned in the notes of what the update would include;

I listen to very varied music, so it can go from very loud to very quiet, so this makes the quiet bits too quiet to hear;

notifications come up every time it does this, with a sound that also interrupts the music;

if I am in a loud environment, the music is turned down too low to hear properly;

there does not seem to be any way of stopping this that I have found.

Does anyone know a way of stopping this. It is exceptionally annoying, and I have had to start reusing an old iPhone just to play my music through my headphones. This will not be updated as I know that this would happen again.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 10:55 AM

I tried this, it didn’t work. I listen to music on my motorcycle with my iPhone mounted on the handlebars. I also wear earplugs. So between that and the road noise I need them loud.

it’s also dangerous while I’m riding having to turn the volume back up

158 replies

Feb 8, 2021 1:15 PM in response to Peter from Cambridge

Mine’s been doing this too for a few weeks. Sent apple a nicely worded letter

• I use my iPhone for work as a satnav and with Spotify at the same time. At certain points during the week, my iPhone will automatically turn the volume down. I don’t want this, don’t need this, I control the volume using the car audio system. It suddenly reducing in sound is a distraction from my driving and is likely to lead to an accident if it carries on. Please correct this.

Dec 27, 2020 4:52 AM in response to KingKarl0z

I’m having the same problem, it’s so annoying. The fact that I’m paying for this expensive iPhone 12 pro and the World Heath Organization controls how we show listen to music then they should pay for all these phones. That feature should be remove ASAP. Androids phones doesn’t have that feature active, why apple are the only one with this annoying and invasion of privacy on???

Nov 17, 2020 8:04 AM in response to Jay9432

I had the same problem when listening while on my motorcycle. I wear ear plugs to prevent the wind noise and have my Sena set turned up loud. How apple can presume to know what is best for us on all product lines is crazy. They are causing more danger to me on my motorcycle than not having this Nanny feature.

apple support told me I can’t downgrade and that I should’ve seen the update notes. They never disclose anything properly before basically forcing updates

Apple volume turned down when using headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.