Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop Health app turning my volume down

I suffer from hearing loss (not loud music related) and need to have my headphone volume set to high. I use bone conductor headphones to help but whilst running with traffic noise in background there is no way to hear the music without the volume set high. Since upgrading to ios14 my Health app is turning the volume down for me when it thinks I have been listening too long and may be damaging my ears. Whenever I turn it back up it notifies me again and repeats. How do I turn this off as it is a discriminatory setting that does not take account of disabilities?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 1:44 PM

Hi, I have an 11 pro max and just got a set of Beats Studio 3.

So, I’m old enough to know better but I like loud.

I actually could not believe it when my phone started to turn down the volume and send me these notifications.

The fix you suggested doesn’t work - it was the first thing I did.

Please see attached screenshot - it’s right there that the notifications can’t be turned off.

This was in settings after turning off headphone safety.

I’m really hoping there is a fix for this as I wear my headphones whilst trail walking and my phone can’t be taken out constantly to adjust it back.

I’m pretty annoyed at Apple - what’s next?

Is our screen time going to be limited?

I’ve been ruining my hearing for 40 odd years thanks very much, this function should be an optional one, or part of parental controls, I even resent that I’m having to have this discussion!

Ive done everything I can think of and even once reset, within around 4 songs, the notifications start, it’s infuriating.

Anyone? I tried to delete the health app but won’t happen.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi, I have an 11 pro max and just got a set of Beats Studio 3.

So, I’m old enough to know better but I like loud.

I actually could not believe it when my phone started to turn down the volume and send me these notifications.

The fix you suggested doesn’t work - it was the first thing I did.

Please see attached screenshot - it’s right there that the notifications can’t be turned off.

This was in settings after turning off headphone safety.

I’m really hoping there is a fix for this as I wear my headphones whilst trail walking and my phone can’t be taken out constantly to adjust it back.

I’m pretty annoyed at Apple - what’s next?

Is our screen time going to be limited?

I’ve been ruining my hearing for 40 odd years thanks very much, this function should be an optional one, or part of parental controls, I even resent that I’m having to have this discussion!

Ive done everything I can think of and even once reset, within around 4 songs, the notifications start, it’s infuriating.

Anyone? I tried to delete the health app but won’t happen.

Feb 6, 2021 8:33 AM in response to Vjburchett

If you have updated to iOS 14.4, if you go to Bluetooth and click on the little blue (i) at the end of the line to the device you are connected to, you should be able to set that to car or speaker and it will not send he information to health to show as being too loud. See the section in this page from the iPhone User Guide to set the classification of your Bluetooth device. Set up and listen to Bluetooth devices on iPhone - Apple Support or see this one, Headphone notifications on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Dec 9, 2020 6:50 PM in response to kiltiegirl50

This was an addition in iOS 14. Are you in Europe or a member country of the EU? Seems there are some regulations about volume and Apple seems to have added this across the board, even here in the US. It doesn't bother me, as I don't use my headphones often, and when I do, not that loud. At least not very often, maybe a song or two occasionally. I've not seen a clear explanation about this, but Apple would be the only one that could and they do not participate here.

You can provide feedback to Apple to let them know your thought about this by going here, Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Dec 5, 2020 1:57 PM in response to kiltiegirl50

I’ve just about learnt to live with it now. You can delete the data by clicking ‘show all data’ under the heating notifications in the health app. This buys you some more time before you get next notification. I’ve also found that when the volume turns down, if you pause music via headphones, turn up the volume on your iPhone again and then resume it tends not to notify again for quite some time. This gives me over an hour of running with music with only 1 interupt. Still a pain!

Dec 9, 2020 6:43 PM in response to Muddy7719

Hi, thanks for that last post, I was starting to think I was being stupid, missing a really obvious setting.

I’m genuinely upset about this, even if that seems a bit extreme!

I got my 1st set of wireless headphones 10 years ago, after years and years of getting tangled up in earbud wires.

My new beats by dr Dre over ear headphones literally revolutionised my whole walking experience.

Ive had Apple iPhones almost as long as I’ve had a mobile phone and always used iTunes.

4 years later we had some rough times when my husbands business went under and my MacBook and my beats had to go.

I haven’t used anything since and my walks have been tuneless for years.

So 6 years on, I got my 2nd set of beats for my 50th birthday - they are a big deal to me - and so far I am so disappointed in the overall experience.

I can’t believe this is even an issue and Apple have went down in my estimation.

You have obviously been dealing with this for some time now, so it isn’t just a recent update?

Is it dependent on the phone or which IOS your running?

Have you heard others complain about this?

If I was in the USA I would say it was some kind of infraction of my constitutional rights, the right to ruin my own hearing or something.

If I find a fix any better than your suggestion I’ll post again. Cheers!

Dec 10, 2020 1:05 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris, thank you for that, I will be using this form and at least having my say.

I’m all for health and safety regulations and enforcement of them is crucial to ensure compliance eg I’m thinking of seat belt laws/PPE etc where the inconvenience minimal and the risk of harm without them is huge....or when we may cause harm to others by not complying.

I just think it’s a very slippery slope when our device software in our very expensive devices, stops me from having a choice in my own home (or trail anyway).

Ive done the risk assessment thank you Apple.

I want to be able to choose how many decibels I listen to my tunes for 2 hours every 2nd day.

This feature is completely detracting from the enjoyment, freedom and features of my £200 headphones.

Whats next?

Adventure sports - banned sorry risk too high

Swimming - sorry might drown.

Prescription analgesia - sorry might overdose......well, you get my point.

We all do our own risk assessments every day then we make a choice.

And that’s what I very much resent being taken away.

I appreciate the responses and advice thank you all.

If Apple have anything to say that’s worthwhile I’ll post it here..

Dec 20, 2020 11:12 AM in response to Andy1578

Yeah it is rubbish.

when I posted I had only used my Beats with my iPhone and could not find any way of stopping Apple from protecting my hearing.

However, it would be remiss of me not to add that I’ve since used the same headphones at the same volume (maybe even louder) with my MacBook Pro.

Guess what? Apple only seem to care about our hearing when we are using or phones.

Ive not had any issues and can head bang for as long as I like with no Interference whatsoever.

What I don’t get is why aren’t more people causing a rumpus about this?

I keep thinking there must be a fix for this I’m not aware of!

Jan 5, 2021 7:29 AM in response to Muddy7719

It’s really starting to **** me off. I work in a factory so the ambient noise is really high, I usually put my studio 3’s on with a bit of music and everything is fine. I need the volume loud or I can still hear the factory noises but now apple has decided I need to have my music at half volume to protect my self????? Cheers now I can’t listen to music at work. Why even allow the volume to go to max if you are just going to automatically tell me I need to have it on half and then change it for me 😡😡😡

Feb 5, 2021 8:27 PM in response to Muddy7719

It is really annoying when I’m synced up to my blue tooth speaker while driving and it keeps turning the volume down! I should have a choice! I can’t hear over the car or heater running at the suggested volume. I’m ready to switch to an android if these little changes keep happening. I already can’t take apps off my phone I don’t want or use. Again no choices. I’m in a “region “ where I have no choice to turn off this ANNOYING feature sadly.

How do I stop Health app turning my volume down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.