Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio not importing with videos I import

I recently had some old VHS tapes digitized and am building a collection within iMovie. I was presented with ~24 individual *.mp4 files from the company that did the digitizing. All the files are the same file type and of similar size. For some reason, I can easily import them into iMovie, however some of the files come in with audio and some without. I can play all of the movies within QuickTime with no problem. I'm so frustrated after spending hours trying to figure this out. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 2:26 PM

Hi, mrmerz,

iMovie can sometimes be more sensitive to audio and video codecs than QuickTimePlayer.

Run your troublesome clips through the free download, Handbrake, to re-encode them. That often cures audio issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. It should work fine.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2020 2:26 PM in response to mrmerz

Hi, mrmerz,

iMovie can sometimes be more sensitive to audio and video codecs than QuickTimePlayer.

Run your troublesome clips through the free download, Handbrake, to re-encode them. That often cures audio issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. It should work fine.

-- Rich

Audio not importing with videos I import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.