Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Question and Subscriptions....

So, I've recently resolved my issue with my beloved (dated) iPod classic and I'm thrilled...

However, I have an apple subscription and my understanding is that I cannot sync music downloaded onto my pc via subscription to my iPod.

Why not?

Surely if I'm paying a subscription and I download the odd tune or 2 ....ok maybe 10+ if I'm in a frenzy then do I not own those tracks? and therefore why can't I transfer them to my iPod?

Don't get me wrong, It's great I can store them on my PC, but lugging round my tower just to listen to Clive Dunn isn't exactly practical.

What's the deal?

I'd rather go back to pay-per-tune - Fully transferrable if this is the case.

Or am I missing something ?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 10:50 AM

Hi. Yes the current iPod touch will work with an Apple Music subscription. Personally I'm all in with iPhone which is even more useful. If there is content on that iPod that isn't in your library see Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community.

It seems we're both showing our age if we remember that track. 🙂

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2020 10:50 AM in response to MattHoskins

Hi. Yes the current iPod touch will work with an Apple Music subscription. Personally I'm all in with iPhone which is even more useful. If there is content on that iPod that isn't in your library see Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community.

It seems we're both showing our age if we remember that track. 🙂

tt2

Nov 10, 2020 2:02 AM in response to MattHoskins

The iPod classic doesn't have the necessary hardware (a secure clock and wi-fi capability) to confirm that your subscription remains active. You can still buy selected items (Grandad?) while you're subscribed to Apple Music so those can be copied to a classic, while being able to explore the whole iTunes catalogue on demand from your computer. Obviously the service is even more convenient if you have an iOS device.

tt2

Nov 10, 2020 2:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for that, that's really useful advice.

So if I were to invest in the latest iPod, I'm assuming I would be able to transfer all my tunes and further subsequent downloads over?

I'm tempted to treat myself to an early xmas present and have the notion that I'm going to donate my iPod Classic to my daughter - under the caveat that she must not delete the contents - my ipod is like my life story in music.

And Spot on Grandad!

iPod Question and Subscriptions....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.