Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to set up email account on iPad Air. Put in detail for incoming and outgoing mail servers but get message "Cannot connect using SSL". What am I doing wrong?

Trying to set up email account on iPad Air. Put in detail for incoming and outgoing mail servers but get message "Cannot connect using SSL". What am I doing wrong?

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 7:11 AM

Have you considered using the Wizard to automatically build the Google Mail account on your iPad - instead of attempting manual setup?

When adding the new account (Settings > Mail > Accounts > Add Account), simply select Google from the list - and then follow the prompts.

5 replies

Nov 10, 2020 2:43 AM in response to michelin3STAR

This error might suggest that the network from which you are attempting to configure the mailbox is either blocking SSL connections, or is decrypting and examining your SSL/TLS traffic (breaking the trust-chain).

Are you using a corporate or other Enterprise WiFi network? If so, try finding an alternative WiFi network; a phone WiFi hotspot may suffice.

If you are connecting from your domestic WiFi network, you might need to verify that your WiFi Router/firewall is configured to allow SSL/TLS traffic.

Nov 10, 2020 6:51 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you LotusPilot for your suggestions. It may be that I am putting in the wrong data. The router has been in use for 4/5 years; it is linked to a Microsoft Windows 10 desktop and by Wi-Fi to several Apple iPads and iPhones. All cope just fine until this latest device (my third iPad). It is only email that is problematic. I have put in for the Incoming Mail Server "Host Name mail.gmail.com" and for the Outgoing Mail server "Host Name smtp.gmail.com" Are these entries wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.