Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Decryption failure

I am having problems decrypting Word files on my iPhone 12 Pro (IOS 14.2). When the password is entered, I get a Decryption Failed (null) message. This is happening to two separate encrypted files. This does not happen on my Mac, either in hard drive or Cloud access.

I shut off and turned the phone back on, with no success.

Is there an issue using IOS, or with the phone?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 11:01 AM

I have the same issue impacting my iPhone and iPad. I found that if I saved the Word doc in format 1997-2003, the docs will open when I enter the correct document password. I currently am using Microsoft 2016 and anything saved as a standard Word doc gives me the decryption failed message. I contacted Apple support and have a case number opened.

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2020 11:01 AM in response to kennethfromeast windsor

I have the same issue impacting my iPhone and iPad. I found that if I saved the Word doc in format 1997-2003, the docs will open when I enter the correct document password. I currently am using Microsoft 2016 and anything saved as a standard Word doc gives me the decryption failed message. I contacted Apple support and have a case number opened.

Nov 15, 2020 6:00 AM in response to rql951

I received an email from the Apple Support person who is handling the case asking me to contact him next week. I will call and reply back to this forum with the results. To me, its starting to look like its a 14.2 bug since I had no issues when I was on 14.1. I wish Apple would make it easier for the customer to roll back to previous OS levels.

Nov 15, 2020 10:12 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I am not using any Microsoft apps on my phone, just the Files app to retrieve these documents.

No new or updated MS software is involved with this problem.

This issue is being discussed on other forums, and the consensus is that is an IOS 14.2 bug.

As long as a case has been opened, best we can do is to save encrypted files as .doc, .xls, etc. and wait for the fix.

Nov 19, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Cruzinfree

I loaded the Microsoft Word App and had some interesting results. When I open the Word Doc in question directly from the App specifying the password works acceptably and the file opens OK. However, I moved the Word Document to Notes on my iphone 7. When I try to open the Word Document from my Notes the same problem persists even after loading the Word App. Wish I understood that relationship a little better.

Nov 20, 2020 7:19 PM in response to AngieClark55

I have been having the same problem in opening an encrypted DOCX document directly from my email since the IOS 14.2 update. What works for me is to click on the document in the email and get to the page to insert the password. Instead of inserting a password and getting the decryption error, I click on the arrow at the top of the page that lets you move the document directly into an app (Word or DocsToGo in my case). The next screen lets you put the password into the Word or DocsToGo app, and the document opens in the app for me. I mentioned all this to Apple support and they say they are looking into it.

Decryption failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.