Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro OLED color un-uniformity

Hello all,

I noticed a colour un-uniformity on my new iPhone 12 Pro OLED display when white background is used. As you can (hopefully) see on the screenshot, a slightly color gradient appears on the screen. On the right side, the white has a different hue than on the left side of the OLED screen. This especially disturbes while reading text on white background since the background seems to slightly change the color hue from left to right.

For this reason, I already swapped my iPhone 12 Pro only to see that the second iPhone has this problem, too. It does not matter if true tone or night shift is enabled or not. You especially can see this problem when the display is dimmed with true tone enabled. Then, you should see some areas on the display having different shapes of white color hues.

I would like to ask if some of you have recognized this problem as well. Since I already swapped my Phone, I am a bit unsure if it maybe could be a general hardware (or software?) issue.

Thanks for your feedback and best regards,

Ben

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 4:32 PM

Hello,

I’ve noticed the same thing. It’s not eay to see on your picture but I know what you are talking about. Mine is very slightly warmer on one side and colder on the other. Easier to notice when in a dark environment with the brightness set to the minimum and a gray background. I’m starting to think that it’s « normal ». Especially if your second Iphone 12 pro has the exact same issue.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2020 4:32 PM in response to benjaminfromdarmstadt

Hello,

I’ve noticed the same thing. It’s not eay to see on your picture but I know what you are talking about. Mine is very slightly warmer on one side and colder on the other. Easier to notice when in a dark environment with the brightness set to the minimum and a gray background. I’m starting to think that it’s « normal ». Especially if your second Iphone 12 pro has the exact same issue.

Nov 21, 2020 11:44 AM in response to elprincipe06

Wow, Apple seems indeed to have some quality issues with the OLED displays. I returned the phone a second time and now, my third iPhone has a nearly perfect display in terms of uniformity. Left is the third iPhone, right is the second one. Unbelievable. I also noticed some slighty other color changes in general. For me it looks like that my third iPhone has an OLED from another manufacturer, it looks many times better than on my second iPhone 12 Pro. As you said, it´s quite a lottery.

Nov 12, 2020 2:48 AM in response to elprincipe06

Thanks for your tip. I made the test with a 5% gray image and my screen looks like your second version, in other words more or less uniform but on the right side of the screen, the gray is darker than on the left side. This is exactly the effect you also recognize with a white background.

I wonder why this can happen? My iPhone XS had also an OLED screen and there, I had no uniformity issues at all.

Since this is my second iPhone 12 Pro, it seems a bit risky to swap it for another one again, especially because there is no guarantee that the effect gets better... What do you think?

I am no technical expert, but I thought that every OLED pixel is lighted by itself (in contrast to LCD with a separate background lighting). How can it happen that an OLED display has such issues?

Nov 12, 2020 2:53 AM in response to benjaminfromdarmstadt

I can be sure that other iphone X or Xs also have uniformity issues. So you are lukcy with your XS then as I said it is a lottery. In OLED manufacturing, it is usually a big sheet of OLED screen where it is being cut into pieces the further you move away from the middle the more not uniform the cut is. This is oled manufacturing limitations. If you have a pefrectly uniform screen, most likely that your screen is cut from the middle of the big oled sheet.

iPhone 12 Pro OLED color un-uniformity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.