Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Senders' Names Now Reversed in Mail Inbox (iOS 14.2)

Since upgrading to iOS 14.2 the names of senders in my Inbox of Apple's Mail app are reversed. For example, emails that used to show as coming from "The New York Times" now show as coming from "York Times The New York." Or instead of "Shell Card" it now shows as "Card Shell." It seems iOS used to recognize business names and show them as such. It looks like it now treats business names the same way it always displayed individual names (Last Name, First Name). I know this doesn't affect functionality, but it sure is aggravating.

Anyone else experiencing this and is there a solution?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 11:40 AM

Yup, that fixed it in Mail. But now my contacts (obviously) display First Name, Last Name. Before 14.2 my Contacts was set to display Last Name, First Name, but in Mail business names still showed properly.

199 replies

Nov 16, 2020 3:08 AM in response to LD150

This does fix the issue in mail display and thanks. Unfortunately, it also changes how contacts are displayed. I find it troublesome to view contacts with first name first because there is no method to it and everything appears to be sorted randomly that way even if it is sorted by last name. This is a new and very unhelpful change introduced in 14.2. I hope it’s a bug because email sender names and contacts are not the same and should not be using the same display rules.

Nov 16, 2020 8:23 AM in response to LD150

Peter, as we discussed above, I think kayo8 is correct. I marked my question “solved” because the solution did correct the problem in Mail. But it created another problem in Contacts—i.e., contacts now display First Name, Last Name, even if the sort order is Last Name, First Name. One should be able to have Contacts display Last Name, First Name without affecting how emails are displayed. I think this is kayo8’s (and my) frustration. Obviously, this is Apple’s problem, not yours, and I appreciate your help.

Nov 21, 2020 6:04 AM in response to dpdapper1

I also strongly encourage users to use the Apple feedback form to indicate their frustration or displeasure with this annoying change.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Sharing concerns on the forums is a way to better understand a problem and seek solutions. In this case, there is no fix for this issue except to change Contacts to be displayed in the illogical and visually-problematic "first name, last name" order. So, this is either a bug or a poor engineering decision, IMO. Regardless, the more people Apple hears from the more likely they are to pay attention and take action.

Nov 24, 2020 1:00 AM in response to Chatajack

I appreciate entirely the situation.

I have said many times this is a workaround.

You mention my level for some reason as though helping thousands of people is something to be ashamed of.

I am after the truth, and to help people.

I can gain nothing more from contributing here and Apple do not monitor this forum.

You will have reported this as a bug like I have at https://www.apple.com/feedback/

so there is nothing more to be said

Nov 27, 2020 4:26 AM in response to frenyoa

No point in keep coming back at me. Plenty of feedback links in the previous pages. I just told you where you are at, but that doesn't make it my fault.

Feedback

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I have never know it any different with the Contacts database, and the update changed my sort preferences is all.

The fact that first name comes in col 1 and you prefer it in col 2 is a minor problem as I have said before.

I put this one in the "Siri says Uh Huh" or "I don't like the new calendar" category. Feedback to Apple (not here) then get on with life.

Nov 16, 2020 9:47 AM in response to dpdapper1

This is the fix I found for the Sender’s Name problem. In order to fix it I had to disconnect Mail and Contacts, do the sort change, then associate them again.

1. Settings, Contacts, Display order changed to First, Last corrects the sort order in Mail after a reboot.
  2. In Contacts, Use the Group icon (top left) clear the dot next to the name of the email group that is the same as your Mail names.
  3. Go back to Settings, Contacts, Display Order and change it back to Last, First....
  4. Now go back to Contacts in the Group icon and reconnect your email group that uses your Contacts.

Hope this helps.

Nov 25, 2020 3:26 PM in response to LD150

Yes, it absolutely does. I change the setting in Contacts preferences, and my email display changes. Notice the names in this screen shot of my email. “Communities Apple Support”. It is backwards.

changing the setting makes things right in mail, but not how I want it in Contacts. Notice now that it says “Apple Support Communities”, as it should.

Senders' Names Now Reversed in Mail Inbox (iOS 14.2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.