Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Immediately Shuts Down when Started

I have an older iMac running El Capitan. Mail has been working flawlessly since I upgraded to El Capitan over a year ago. Yesterday, mail crashed when downloading mail and now it immediately shuts down every time it is started. The iMac was rebooted in Safe Mode with no change in the result. Any idea of the next steps? Is it possible to reload mail without reloading the entire OS?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 3:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

When I tried it Mail opened without any message selected. When I tried to select Inbox it crashed again, with or without my finger on the Shift key. How long do I need to keep my finger on the Shift key before a message comes up automatically?

GregV

5 replies

Nov 18, 2020 8:45 AM in response to MailCrash

Hi MailCrash,

We understand that mail is crashing every time you open it. Let's try holding down the Shift key and reopen mail. Mail should open without any message or mailbox selected. Continue to hold the Shift key until a message appears. After doing so, close the Mail app and open it as your normally would.

You can also check this out. If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

Take care.

Mail Immediately Shuts Down when Started

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.