You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charging Apple Pencil 2

I ordered an Apple Pencil 2 to use with my new iPad Air 8th gen. The ipad hasn't arrived yet but I was just reading that the only way to charge the pencil is to connect it to an iPad Pro. Is that true? I can not charge it with the iPad Air?

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 11:52 AM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2020 1:12 PM in response to osoposo

There is no such thing as an iPad Air 8th Gen. The current model of iPad Air is the 4th Generation.The current model of the regular iPad is the 8th Generation. They are 2 different iPads.

Please identify the exact type of iPad you have as Apple Pencil compatibility is different between the 2. link->Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

The second generation Apple Pencil works and can be charged with the iPad Air 4th generation if that is what you have, It will not work, and cannot be charged with the iPad 8th generation.

The second generation Apple Pencil attaches to the side of the iPad Air to charge and pair.

See here: link->Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

and here: link-> Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

charging Apple Pencil 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.