Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Zone issues on iOS14

The time on my iPhone SE (2nd gen) keeps reverting to Etc/GMT+7 (which is one hour ahead for me), first on iOS 14.1 but also on 14.2 since updating.

When I turn "Set Automatically" off, I see the Time Zone is automatically Vancouver (GMT+8, which is correct) with the right time now set on the phone.

When I turn "Set Automatically" back on, the time reverts to one hour ahead after less than a minute with the time zone now being "Etc/GMT+7".

Has anyone else encountered this on iOS 14.x?

iPhone SE

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 1:40 PM

12 replies

Dec 6, 2020 4:28 PM in response to zzyzy

Seeing the same issue on both iPhone 6 and iPhone 8 running 12.4.9 and 14.2 respectively. Issue shows on connected Apple watches too and is intermittent. Have changed timezone to manual / Vancouver and I'm on the Telus Network.

With Screen Time enabled on my son's phone the default is to set time automatically with no option to set manually. I will have to disable screen time on his phone until this bug is fixed.

Dec 4, 2020 12:02 PM in response to Tony1000

My problem in Vancouver is on an iPhone SE2 that has a SIM card and unlimited texting, but no data plan. I spent an hour on the phone with the carrier (Telus) and the only inferior solution we reliably came up with is to leave "Set Automatically" on Date/Time off. He intimated that a regular customer with data would never have this issue.

I've noted that if I switch off WiFi (with auto date/time on) and send a text message, then about half the time, the clock immediately jumps ahead an hour to "Etc/GMT+7" instead of "Vancouver".

That was leading me to believe it was iOS mooching an errant timestamp off said text messages, but the tech insisted to me that wasn't the case. Rather that iOS is deciding to look for updated time info and can't find it so it just goes with some previous default setting.

My wife has also noticed the same issue on her iPhone 5s (iOS 10.3.4) when not on WiFi, with the same carrier plan. My research tells me that this is not a new problem.

Dec 4, 2020 4:56 PM in response to zzyzyman

Very odd bug, seems configuration specific but not consistent. We also have two phones on Telus Mobility (full plans), same iOS 14.2. My iPhone SE 2 has no issues at all; automatic time zone locks in correctly with Vancouver. But my wife’s iPhone 8 seems to be unable to get time zone information; instead it shows a spinner most of the time. It will lock on Vancouver for a few moments then go back to spinning. Randomly on occasion it will jump ahead an hour to GMT+7. Using WiFi or cellular does not change this behaviour, nor does sending or receiving texts.

Time Zone issues on iOS14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.