Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.2 weak security message and Wi-Fi extenders

When I updated my iPad Air2 and iPhone SE2020 to iOS14.2 I began to get the ‘weak security’ message despite trying 2 home-based routers both with WPA2 (AES) security.

I have just discovered that the ‘weak security’ message DISAPPEARS when I turn off my TP-Link WA854RE range extender!

I find this Wi-Fi range extender really useful for reaching certain areas in my home but is it compromising my Wi-Fi security?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 3:21 AM

Nothing is broken - but your WiFi network may benefit from update in either settings or improved hardware...

Your iPad is no less secure today than it was prior to the update to iPadOS14. However, your iPad is now better able to [warn] bring to your attention security deficiencies of your WiFi network and iPad settings.

This support page will describe the more secure (recommended) settings for WiFi:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support

It is possible that your WiFi Router or other network infrastructure devices are too old to be (or not capable of being) configured for more secure settings. As such, you can either configure the most secure settings that your WiFi Router/extenders will support - or replace your them with something more advanced that provides better security configuration options. 

Whilst WPA3 is the newest standard, you should aim to use WPA2 (AES-PSK) as a minimum. Some Routers/extenders seemingly continue to support the insecure/deprecated TKIP standards - even when apparently configured for WPA2 operation; the detection of TKIP will definitely cause a security warning to appear.

There is a also new privacy feature included within iOS/iPadOS14 that hides your physical MAC Address - and instead uses a randomly selected Private MAC Address. This feature can be enabled/disabled on your iPhone/iPad for each configured WiFi Network. This feature also has bearing upon the appearance of the Weak Security notifications.

More information about this new feature can be found here:

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and watchOS 7 – Apple Support

If you are unable to employ more secure security settings on your WiFi network, you might consider replacement of your WiFi network devices with more advanced equipment. However, if the router is provided by your ISP, this may not be practical proposition. A potentially cheaper and more flexible approach might be to add an additional upstream WiFi Router, or WiFi Access Point (AP) that meets the required standards.

I hope this information provides some helpful insight into ways to resolve the WiFi Security warnings that you might observe after updating to iPadOS14.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2020 3:21 AM in response to birder22

Nothing is broken - but your WiFi network may benefit from update in either settings or improved hardware...

Your iPad is no less secure today than it was prior to the update to iPadOS14. However, your iPad is now better able to [warn] bring to your attention security deficiencies of your WiFi network and iPad settings.

This support page will describe the more secure (recommended) settings for WiFi:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support

It is possible that your WiFi Router or other network infrastructure devices are too old to be (or not capable of being) configured for more secure settings. As such, you can either configure the most secure settings that your WiFi Router/extenders will support - or replace your them with something more advanced that provides better security configuration options. 

Whilst WPA3 is the newest standard, you should aim to use WPA2 (AES-PSK) as a minimum. Some Routers/extenders seemingly continue to support the insecure/deprecated TKIP standards - even when apparently configured for WPA2 operation; the detection of TKIP will definitely cause a security warning to appear.

There is a also new privacy feature included within iOS/iPadOS14 that hides your physical MAC Address - and instead uses a randomly selected Private MAC Address. This feature can be enabled/disabled on your iPhone/iPad for each configured WiFi Network. This feature also has bearing upon the appearance of the Weak Security notifications.

More information about this new feature can be found here:

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and watchOS 7 – Apple Support

If you are unable to employ more secure security settings on your WiFi network, you might consider replacement of your WiFi network devices with more advanced equipment. However, if the router is provided by your ISP, this may not be practical proposition. A potentially cheaper and more flexible approach might be to add an additional upstream WiFi Router, or WiFi Access Point (AP) that meets the required standards.

I hope this information provides some helpful insight into ways to resolve the WiFi Security warnings that you might observe after updating to iPadOS14.

Nov 11, 2020 11:20 PM in response to birder22

afaik, many repeaters support old security methods, currently considered as week. when apple device detects that device it's connecting to supports one of these, it throws you a warning, however, apple dev always connects using best security/auth method it and other party supports.

you probably should

a) check firmware update for your repeater and update to newest one, maybe it'll help

b) check security settings and disable old methods if possible

iOS 14.2 weak security message and Wi-Fi extenders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.