Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbered header style

Hi,

Is it possible to make a numbered header style? If I make a header numbered, it seems not possible to update the header style with that feature. Is manually numbering my headers the only option?

PS: please don't tell me to use a previous version of Pages, I'm not going to. A lot of times there's a new way of accomplishing the same. Sometimes not.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 2:10 AM

I hadn't noticed the lack of a save capabiity. Unfortunately, the Style loses the 'number' setting even if you use it to Create a new style from selection by clicking the + sign that appear with the menu when you cick the triangle beside the Style Name.

Might be a good Feature Enhancement suggestion to send Appl via the Provide Pages Feedback item in the Pages menu.

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 2:10 AM in response to JohnBaron

I hadn't noticed the lack of a save capabiity. Unfortunately, the Style loses the 'number' setting even if you use it to Create a new style from selection by clicking the + sign that appear with the menu when you cick the triangle beside the Style Name.

Might be a good Feature Enhancement suggestion to send Appl via the Provide Pages Feedback item in the Pages menu.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 18, 2020 1:24 PM in response to JohnBaron

Hey JohnBaron,

If we understand correctly, you're looking to add the page numbers in the header of your Pages document. If that's right, take a look at the steps here: Add and remove headers and footers in Pages on Mac

If we've misunderstood, provide us more details. The more details you share, the better we can help!

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Nov 19, 2020 12:43 AM in response to JohnBaron

Hi John,

I'm using an 'older version of Numbers,' but the controls may be in the same location or a similar location in the version you are using.

In the text section of the Format Inspector, I clicked the triangle beside the Style name, then chose Heading from the menu that opened.

The Bullets and Lists item is at the bottom of the Inspector Pane. Clicking the v beside None* produced a list labeled List Styles. I left that one where it was, and clicked the triangle left of bullets to show the rest of the rows below, Then chse Numbers from the menu immediately below Bullets and Lists.

Somewhere in the process—probably on the second application of the Style, I was offered a choice of continuing the numbering from the previous heading or Start at __ to start a fresh series of numbers.

Here's the result I got: (I've removed 15 lines of text to get a smaller image, so the continuity of the message may appear to jump.

Regards,

Barry

Numbered header style

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.