Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Text Message Notifications Issue

Hi - I have an Apple Watch 6 and am having an issue with receiving text notifications. My watch will correctly give me a notification whenever I receive an iMessage, but not when I receive a text message (SMS). No haptic feedback and no message in the notification center (my watch is normally in silent mode, so no audio feedback, but still have the issue with silent mode turned off). Also confirming that this issue happens regardless of whether my phone is unlocked with the screen on or locked with the screen off.

Any suggestions on how to fix? I've already tried resetting my watch. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 3:29 PM

Thanks Brenden. My iPhone and Apple Watch are both running the latest OS and I had already tried resetting both devices. It did not correct the problem.

I will note that I fixed the issue a few days ago, although I'm not sure why what I did worked. On my iPhone I went into Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding and turned on the ability to send and receive text messages on my MacBook Pro (it had been deselected). I have no idea why that would impact receiving SMS notifications on my Apple Watch but once I turned on that option I started receiving the notifications on my watch.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 3:29 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks Brenden. My iPhone and Apple Watch are both running the latest OS and I had already tried resetting both devices. It did not correct the problem.

I will note that I fixed the issue a few days ago, although I'm not sure why what I did worked. On my iPhone I went into Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding and turned on the ability to send and receive text messages on my MacBook Pro (it had been deselected). I have no idea why that would impact receiving SMS notifications on my Apple Watch but once I turned on that option I started receiving the notifications on my watch.

Nov 18, 2020 3:20 PM in response to BernardBernoulli

Hello BernardBernoulli,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're not getting notifications on your Apple Watch when you receive SMS messages, and we'd be happy to look into this with you.

Does both your iPhone, and Apple Watch up-to-date on software? We can check is to make sure that both your iPhone and Apple Watch are updated to the most recent iOS and watchOS versions. It’s a good idea to backup your iPhone before updating. 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your Apple Watch

If your devices are already updated, let's try to restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

Restart your iPhone

How to restart your Apple Watch

Also, please check this helpful link, and check the notifications settings on your device:

Notifications on your Apple Watch

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Apple Watch Text Message Notifications Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.