Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about Appearance settings in Big Sur

I have two Macs, a 2018-era Mac Mini and a 2015-era MacBook Air. Catalina is running on the Mini but I installed Big Sur on the MacBook Air tonight. And one thing I immediately noticed I dislike about Big Sur is the appearance of the menu bar: all the words and icons are in white; this is true when Appearance settings are set to Light, Dark or Auto. In Catalina, I have the Appearance settings set to Light and the menubar is gray and the words and icons are black. Is there any way to get the menubar to look similar in Big Sur? I just find the white words and icons both distracting and more difficult to read. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 10:45 PM

I actually found a solution: The menubar works differently in Big Sur. It's affected by the Desktop image, which now bleeds into the menubar. If the Desktop image is dark, the words and icons in the menubar will be white. If the Desktop image is light, the words and icons in the menubar will be black. So I just switched to a different Desktop picture.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2020 10:45 PM in response to dialabrain

I actually found a solution: The menubar works differently in Big Sur. It's affected by the Desktop image, which now bleeds into the menubar. If the Desktop image is dark, the words and icons in the menubar will be white. If the Desktop image is light, the words and icons in the menubar will be black. So I just switched to a different Desktop picture.

Nov 12, 2020 11:42 PM in response to dialabrain

Haha, well, I apparently needed more specific instruction. After your suggestion, I went to Accessibility -> Display, but I thought the possible solution was to "Invert Colors," but I didn't like the results. I should have also tried "Reduce transparency", but it didn't occur to me to try it until Terence suggested it. But thanks too for your help. I just apparently needed more hand holding.

Questions about Appearance settings in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.