Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t see administrator name in user and groups in Macbook air

I am trying to install a software,it asked for Administrator username and password...but User and Group panel is not showing administrator...and little bit confused to guess what administrator name i have added...currently i am a Standard user...so how can i make my macbook to get all clean and start from scratch and creating a Admin account...

kindly help...have watched Youtube videos about creating admin account in this scenario,but after Command+S,coding panel doesn’t stop so that i can give command which youtubers have told me to enter,so it just restart at standard user again,makin admin account to no avail...plz help🙂

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 3:32 AM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2020 11:39 AM in response to drms273

Apple does not permit that and I don't give out personal information as it is not safe. You can post pictures here using the "Image Insertion" tool whose icon looks like a picture with two mountains.

Even though the messages don't stop scrolling try pressing the "Return" key anyway.

The other way to access the command line is by booting into Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode. The Terminal app is located on the Utilities menu in recovery mode. Once you have a Terminal window in recovery mode you may first need to temporarily disable System Integrity Protection (SIP):

csrutil  disable

Then you need to get the volume name for your boot volume. The default boot volume name is "Macintosh HD" unless you modified it at some point. The following command will show the current mounted volumes so it should allow you to recall the exact name of the volume if you changed it:

mount  |  grep  -i  volumes

Now you can delete the hidden file which tells macOS not to run Setup Assistant when booting. I'm showing the command with the default macOS name so make sure to replace "Macintosh HD" with your boot volume name if it is different:

rm  -i  "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"

Now re-enable SIP (very important for system security of your Mac):

csrutil  enable

Now when you reboot the Mac you should be greeted by Setup Assistant which will create a new macOS admin user account. With a new admin user account you should be able to fix the issue with the main user account.

Nov 13, 2020 9:47 PM in response to drms273

If you are booting into the old style Single User Mode does the text on the screen stop scrolling? If so, just press the "Return" key. I've seen some Macs where the command prompt is not displayed for some reason and pressing the "Return" key will cause the command prompt to appear. Make sure to follow the on-screen instructions to run "fsck -fy" and then remount the root volume as read+write so that you can delete the hidden system file that acts as a flag for whether Setup Assistant will launch on the next boot:

fsck  -fy  
mount  -uw  /
rm  -i  /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot

Can’t see administrator name in user and groups in Macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.