Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: installing big sur mac not starting

Downloaded Big Sur for my wife's MacBook Pro when installing machine has stuck with a black screen

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 3:46 AM

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 14, 2020 5:32 AM in response to t5vag In response to t5vag

My wife's 13" Retina MacBook Pro (late 2013, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM) is also stuck at a black/blank* screen during the upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur. The machine can be turned off by holding down the power-button, which makes the screen turn off (i.e. completely black), but when it's turned on again (i.e. pressing the power-button) the screen goes back to being black/blank.

I have tried resetting the SMC and the NVRAM, but this doesn't change anything.

Any bright suggestions?

* No image is displayed, but you can tell that the panel isn't off, as it is when the machine is powered off.

Nov 14, 2020 5:32 AM

Nov 14, 2020 9:35 AM in response to t5vag In response to t5vag

I spoke to Apple Support this morning and went thru the standard reset/recovery combinations but unsuccessful. My case has been escalated to "Engineering" and was told that I should hear something next Tues/Wed and will share that info. Good luck to everyone!

Mid 2014 MacBook Pro Retina

Nov 14, 2020 9:35 AM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Nov 14, 2020 5:32 AM in response to t5vag In response to t5vag

My wife's 13" Retina MacBook Pro (late 2013, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM) is also stuck at a black/blank* screen during the upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur. The machine can be turned off by holding down the power-button, which makes the screen turn off (i.e. completely black), but when it's turned on again (i.e. pressing the power-button) the screen goes back to being black/blank.

I have tried resetting the SMC and the NVRAM, but this doesn't change anything.

Any bright suggestions?

* No image is displayed, but you can tell that the panel isn't off, as it is when the machine is powered off.

Nov 14, 2020 5:32 AM

Reply Helpful (9)

Nov 14, 2020 9:35 AM in response to t5vag In response to t5vag

I spoke to Apple Support this morning and went thru the standard reset/recovery combinations but unsuccessful. My case has been escalated to "Engineering" and was told that I should hear something next Tues/Wed and will share that info. Good luck to everyone!

Mid 2014 MacBook Pro Retina

Nov 14, 2020 9:35 AM

Reply Helpful (5)

Nov 15, 2020 9:54 AM in response to t5vag In response to t5vag

I updated my MacBook Pro and it is now bricked it won’t boot anymore and I have lost thousands of dollars worth of music. Being that I am a Dj this has completely shut down my only source of income until I can purchase a new laptop and try and get all of the music off of my MacBook. This was my back up being that all my accounts are tied to this laptop I have no other way to access all of my music.

Nov 15, 2020 9:54 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2020 10:15 AM in response to t5vag In response to t5vag

Same issue for me..Late 2013 MacBook Pro that was working fine prior to the Big Sur update. Nothing works, no chime, no keystroke combination to reset PRAM or recovery mode will work.

Will try to replace the logic board tomorrow but this is terrible!

Nov 15, 2020 10:15 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: t5vag

Question: installing big sur mac not starting