You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Increase the Menu Bar Icon Size in Big Sur

Hello,

Recently i have updated my Macbook Pro "15 to MacOS Big Sur. I just noticed icon size in the menu bar is so small as compare to recent MacOS Catalina.

I use glasses while using my 15 inch Macbook but these icons looks very small to me.

Is there any way to increase the size of menu bar icons?

Thank you

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 7:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 5:45 AM

the problem with changing the font size is that it changes it EVERYWHERE! Apple, this is a bad design decision. If you want an itty bitty menu bar, fine, but give a way to increase JUST the menu bar size. Remember your claims about supporting accessibility? Well, you have failed big time on this decision.

28 replies

Nov 16, 2020 6:59 PM in response to RizwanRzaKhan

rizwana khan Said:

"How to Increase the Menu Bar Icon Size in Big Sur: Hello, Recently i have updated my Macbook Pro "15 to MacOS Big Sur. I just noticed icon size in the menu bar is so small as compare to recent MacOS Catalina. I use glasses while using my 15 inch Macbook but these icons looks very small to me. Is there any way to increase the size of menu bar icons? Thank you"

-------

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "User Interface" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Nov 17, 2020 11:57 AM in response to RizwanRzaKhan

After reading many replies i realise there is no Official way to increase the icons size in menu bar. I guess we have to wait for upcoming updates.

Apple should've test this on all larger screen. Not everyone uses a 13 inch Macbook.

If you're following up this question, i request you all to let Apple know how annoying it is to navigate on larger screen.

TheLittles’s said

RizwanRzaKhan wrote:

Hello,
Recently i have updated my Macbook Pro "15 to MacOS Big Sur. I just noticed icon size in the menu bar is so small as compare to recent MacOS Catalina.

I use glasses while using my 15 inch Macbook but these icons looks very small to me.
Is there any way to increase the size of menu bar icons?
Thank you
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/11c48254-89eb-4f6d-94c1-97a0770990e4

Dec 12, 2020 2:53 PM in response to DCApple_Guy

DCApple_Guy Said:

"I found that adjusting the contrast helped, but the font size did not change. I’d also add that I think the new Mail interface is just plain ugly, insufficiently hierarchical graphically, and less user-friendly. Many of us buy Macs because we appreciate good design. This is terrible design."

-------

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Provide Apple of your feedback of this. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

Nov 17, 2020 2:50 PM in response to RizwanRzaKhan

Do not put too much hope into Apple increasing it. It has to do with resolutions > individual pixel sizes. There is a reason Apple displays are drop dead crisp/clear/gorgeous: the resolutions are made up of tiny pixels. They cannot change the pixel size for one part of the screen only - it is impossible. It is either all or none.

Apple has always embraced minimalism.

Look at it this way: a screen resolution of, say 1600 x 1000 means there are 1600 pixels horizontally - if the resolution is 3000 pixels wide, then there are 3,000 of them in the very same space. Makes for a beautiful display, but individual letter (fonts) are made up of, say 12 pixels - on a 3,000 pixel screen, that makes the letters or images tiny.

This debate has been going on for years. Increase what you can: in Finder, you can adjust the minimum font size on the screen or in Finder windows. You can also adjust it within apps, but the menu bar is part of the OS installation and there isn't anything you can do unless you can find an adjustment withint the Accessibility options.

Dec 12, 2020 3:18 PM in response to DCApple_Guy

Frankly, feedback will be a waste of time. This has been requested many times for at least 20 years - Apple still embraces the same design process, tiny pixels for crisp displays. As you probably noticed, enlarging the pixel size on the display will result in a fuzzier display.

As for font size, many apps allow you to adjust the font within the app - look at the preference settings for each app. And, in Finder, you can adjust the font size as well - go to Finder > View > View Options > adjust the font and the icon size. That will not do anything for the menu bar though.

Jan 30, 2021 6:38 AM in response to abldll

Obviously you have not done what you recommend or you don't understand what you wrote " It also increases the size of all text on the desktop." By using the scaling feature EVERYTHING is scaled larger. How stupid. BUT for the dock icons there is a separate adjustment that impacts only the dock icons - so if Apple cared they would make the do the same for the menu bar.

Jan 30, 2021 7:50 AM in response to raymondfrombedminster

I apologize if you felt the term stupid referred to you - it was aimed at Apple. But at age 77 and perhaps not matching your IQ exactly I have been using Apple since the Apple IIe and I know what can be done when Apple wants to do it. So this older person would prefer to be able to enlarge that portion of the screen that is beneficial to me and that ability is widely available except for the menu bar. The point being that it can be done and should be, in my opinion.

How to Increase the Menu Bar Icon Size in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.