Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand update not installing, Nov 13 2020

Running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on 2017 27" iMac.

Running GarageBand 10.3.5

AppStore is notifying me of GarageBand update. WHen I try to update, I get the following error message:

"We could not complete your update."

"GarageBand can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 11 or later is required."

To repeat, I am running macOS15, which is clearly "version 11 or later". Tried rebooting. No change.

Ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 12:42 PM

Version 11 means MacOS 11 Big Sur, the most recent system, one day old - you are running macOS X (which means MacOS 10.x.x). Apple really ended the MacOS X era and switched from MacOS X to macOS 11.

The most recent GarageBand update - GarageBand 10.4.1 is a universal application, written for Intel Processors and M1 processors and requires the most recent system version Big Sur, that supports the universal apps.

The AppStore should really not have shown you this upgrade, since your Mac has not been upgraded to Big Sur. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 12:42 PM in response to old Bill

Version 11 means MacOS 11 Big Sur, the most recent system, one day old - you are running macOS X (which means MacOS 10.x.x). Apple really ended the MacOS X era and switched from MacOS X to macOS 11.

The most recent GarageBand update - GarageBand 10.4.1 is a universal application, written for Intel Processors and M1 processors and requires the most recent system version Big Sur, that supports the universal apps.

The AppStore should really not have shown you this upgrade, since your Mac has not been upgraded to Big Sur. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132

Nov 17, 2020 1:25 AM in response to AGuyOnWheels

As a precaution, be sure to have a backup of the GarageBand version you are currently using, as well as of the and the loops and sounds, or you may not be able to reinstall GarageBand until this issue at the AppStore has been fixed.

And you may want to send feedback to Apple to request a bug fix. Apple is surely aware of the problem by notw but perhaps not about the urgency of a fix for so many users. The feedback form is here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/garageband.html

Nov 16, 2020 11:36 PM in response to jsguy69

No, there isn't; and that's the other aspect of this issue that isn't being addressed. If Catalina users need to re-install GarageBand for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any way to accomplish it.

This really needs to be corrected.

The notification badge is annoying, but there's also the bigger issue of invalidating a vast majority of Catalina users.

Nov 17, 2020 12:42 PM in response to AGuyOnWheels

Yes, and just to acknowledge the presence of the "elephant in the room", I ran into this GarageBand problem because I chose to not install Big Sur, yet. And the reason that I haven't installed Big Sur, and won't until roughly next March, is that Apple has apparently decided that software testing is so "last century."

This sort of problem of introducing bugs has gotten progressively worse over the past several years. In a way, it makes me feel young again, like I'm sitting around waiting for Windows Vista service pack 2 before upgrading.

GarageBand update not installing, Nov 13 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.