Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Notifications with no sound or alert of any kind

I set up my new phone however I don't get any notifications to create a sound or haptics when I receive them. I've reset my settings after getting frustrated, restarted the phone, made sure to select sounds for each notification, set the notification preview to 'always', made sure it's not on mute and the volume is up yet I can't get my phone to tell me that anything has come in until I look at the home screen only to find i've received a bunch of notifications.

I get calls on the phone just fine but texts, discord, emails, etc. NO notification that anything has been received. I've spent hours pouring through the settings and nothing helps.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 12:08 AM

I’ve been having this same problem and it’s incredibly frustrating as it doesn’t notify me that I’ve gotten a message. I wouldn’t even know I got a text unless I go on the messaging app directly and check whoever I was texting to see their response. I’ve gone through all of the settings and made sure everything was set and turned on yet still nothing.... Apple please fix this!

328 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2020 12:08 AM in response to Binkusama

I’ve been having this same problem and it’s incredibly frustrating as it doesn’t notify me that I’ve gotten a message. I wouldn’t even know I got a text unless I go on the messaging app directly and check whoever I was texting to see their response. I’ve gone through all of the settings and made sure everything was set and turned on yet still nothing.... Apple please fix this!

Dec 11, 2021 6:26 PM in response to waybacmac

You would be amazed at how many people don't even realize it's there. They will buy an 800$ and never open the manual let alone read through this thread enough to find out about the switch. Plus the issues they are having are exactly what happens when you slide that tactile switch above the volume buttons at least the ones having the issues without a smart watch.

Nov 22, 2020 9:29 PM in response to Binkusama

Absolutely having the same issue for text notifications. Other notifications seem to be fine. This is a very painful bug. I’m missing so many important work and personal text message notifications.

Apple chat support said engineers are aware. I have a call with Apple support tomorrow night. This needs to be addressed immediately. I have also submitted feedback on this issue. I know this is Thanksgiving week but Apple needs to fix this.

I have tried everything and nothing has worked. A reboot seems to fix for a short time but then it returns. If I’m using the phone I get notifications, seems to happen when phone is locked/screen off. Not 100% sure on that though. Also not getting the notifications on the AW either.

Nov 26, 2020 10:39 AM in response to RealtorJim

I just purchased an iPhone 12 pro and am having the same problem of no audible alerts for texts and no audible voice for Siri even though you can see Siri is working by the active swirl.

None of the fixes above have worked.

We rely on these phones for our businesses.

Very disappointing and considering jumping off the Apple ship unless they have a fix this week.

Dec 13, 2020 5:52 PM in response to christiane41

I spoke with an Apple engineer about this yesterday. Apparently if you have an Apple Watch, all notifications (and sound) will go to the watch but not both. I honestly didn’t even realize this but then I tested this and yep, I am getting the noise notification to my watch but not my phone which irritates me because I swear it did not use to be this way before I got the iPhone 12 Pro.

Here is a link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204791

Jun 22, 2021 7:51 AM in response to DanielGnam

Ok, I spent a couple of days working through to get to an Apple Case Manager. Here is what she had me do:

1. Complete an iCloud backup on your phone.
  2. Connect to Apple Music (iTunes) and you want to reset back to factory settings while it is connected to AM. Make sure your computer is updated to latest software version (14.6).
  3. Once you get the Hello screen, you want to set your language, etc until you get to the option to restore from iCloud backup.
  4. You'll have to set up your wallet, Face ID, etc, but you won't lose anything else but some customizations.
  5. All of this effectively uninstalls and reinstalls the operating system.

I am (for now) getting all audible notifications and alerts again.

Hope this helps! It's a hassle, but at least I won't miss calls, texts, and emails. Good luck!

Jan 26, 2021 6:57 AM in response to OCPDCA

I’m sorry but you referred to “text app”....im assuming just the icon (bubble looking thing), when I swipe left it simply goes to a screen that says “all messengers, known senders, unknown senders”. When I swiped on a specific name it ended up deleting the thread with a yellow pin next to it (yes I swiped left vs right). Any ideas or clarification?

Nov 25, 2020 8:53 AM in response to John Venable

Just to troubleshoot.. try turning off the Bluetooth on the phone, have a text sent. What's the result ?

I have the same issue, iPhone 11 Pro 14.2 no text alerts with Bluetooth on, connected to iWatch 5 44mm

I have Do Not Disturb activated on my iPhone scheduled for 9 pm to 7 am. It seems like the silence never shuts off the watch.

So I turn off Bluetooth every morning turn it on and text message alerts work till the next morning... ?idk? : /

Nov 25, 2020 3:59 PM in response to Binkusama

Having same problem with new IPhone 12 Pro Max. No sounds or alerts work or sound. We also have IPhone 12 Pro and it’s working fine. So it must be the Max that’s having issues? We did a shutdown and restart and it fixed the problem on the Pro Max. We’ll see if it stays that way. But if you haven’t, try turning off the phone and then powering back up.

Nov 27, 2020 4:06 PM in response to Binkusama

Same story as most people here on my iPhone 12 pro. I don’t use an Apple Watch. I have tried it with Bluetooth on (my preference) and off and get the same result.

For me it’s sporadic and doesn’t correlate to anything. I’ll get an email/text/call notification come through fine. 10 minutes later with no settings changed I won’t get anything.

I can imagine some people having the problem because there are 3 different places to adjust volume; ringer side buttons, swiping down for control center slider, and slider in settings under sound and haptics. They can sometimes all be set at completely different levels. I would suggest others check them all to rule out that issue. I can see the purpose of two different sound settings, one for ringer/notifications and one for system volume (i.e. music and apps). I don’t see why when I press the side buttons to put the ringer on max, the slider under settings->sounds and haptics can still be down. Seems like those two should always match.

In any case, I always check them when I notice the problem happen daily and it still occurs when they’re all at max.

Come on Apple engineers. Let’s get this fixed.

iPhone 12 Pro Notifications with no sound or alert of any kind

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.