Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Speeds (iPhone 12 Pro Max)

Anybody else having slow or inconsistent WiFi speeds on iPhone 12 Pro Max? I know it’s not my WiFi because all my other devices work as usual including my iPhone X which is still have/upgraded from.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 6:14 PM

352 replies

Nov 17, 2020 11:00 AM in response to Sachihiro

I have been seeing very inconsistent speeds on my iPhone 12 pro max, and every single time it is slower than my old phone (Samsung Z flip). I am getting at maximum speeds, less than half the speeds my other phone is running over wireless. There was a form online I looked up on how to troubleshoot my WiFi problems. Every troubleshooting step has been performed on my end with no gains. (Reconfigure DNS, Forget Wi-Fi network and join again, reset network settings, reboot router, update firmware on router, make sure you don’t have a VPN running, try toggling Wi-Fi assist on and off, etc).

I hope this issue is going to get fixed for everyone. But I have seen too many issues with this device since I got it. It’s going to be returned. Another unsuccessful iPhone for me 😁

Nov 20, 2020 10:44 AM in response to Sachihiro

This is definitely not an isolated issue. I have been having this issue since I got my phone earlier this week and I thought it was just me because I was unable to find anything related to it in other forms. I have reset my router, removed and re-added to Wi-Fi network, reset my network settings etc. none of that worked. This is not an issue on any of my other devices including my iPad Pro, iPhone SE (work phone) and my iPhone X which I use for beta testing and both of my kids phones are working the way they’re supposed to so it is specific the 12 Pro Max. I’m hoping this can be corrected with a firmware update because I’m paying for High speed internet with a mesh network and only pulling 20 to 50 Mbps on my device is unacceptable.

Dec 21, 2020 9:30 AM in response to Sachihiro

There appears to be a know issue with iPhone 12 Pro Max (not sure about the other iPhone 12s). But mine and others are having issues ranging from maintaining activation on the cellular network to completely screwing up local Wi-Fi networks. Apple is certainly keeping quiet about this issue. I hope they fix it soon, because is has had a big impact on my work-from-home protocol because I rely heavily on my wi-fi for WFH. See links below for existing issue:

https://piunikaweb.com/2020/10/30/iphone-12-iphone-12-pro-experiencing-activation-issues-on-att-verizon-or-t-mobile-you-arent-alone/

iPhone 12 Pro losing activation - Apple Community

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/jgqhr0/iphone_12_pro_activation_issues/

There are many more, but I'm not sure any have a fool-proof fix identified.

Mar 25, 2021 5:12 PM in response to irish-07

What "toggling" are you referring to?

There isn't something inherently slow about Wi-Fi on the iPhone 12 models, there may be something slowing it on your network.

I don't have to do anything special and I get this speed on every Wi-Fi network I connect to.

The number one setting you should check is to make sure Wi-Fi assist is off.

About Wi-Fi Assist - Apple Support

Aug 8, 2021 10:03 AM in response to iamanupam

It depends upon how the router negotiated its connection to the device in question, there are far too many variables here from IP addresses assigned to routing issues. It’s not uncommon for a router to have issues passing traffic to one particular IP address and if you happen to get it, this can occur.

Since you experienced it on one of two iPhone 12s, did you contact Apple Support to find out if there might be a hardware issue with the one phone?

Contact - Official Apple Support

Nov 19, 2020 10:38 AM in response to repotm

I doubt that it is related to 14.2, because all 4 of my family’s iOS devices (2 iPhones & 2 iPads) are still as fast as my Internet service (~110mbps).

Some basic troubleshooting:

• Restart your router (You should do this regularly, anyway, weekly is good)
  • Forget and reconnect to the network
  • Settings/General/Reset - Reset Network Settings

If you don’t have different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands consider changing one so you can tell them apart, and connect intentionally to the faster 5 GHz network.

Dec 7, 2020 6:02 AM in response to Sachihiro

Same here, Checked againts Iphone 12pro and Iphone 8 within same wifi network and my 12 pro max wifi speed was 1/3 of the orher devices.

I tried reseting the Network Settings on my 12 pro max and the speed improved, now it is running at almost twice the speed than before but still not catching up with the 12 pro or 8.

To perform the network reset on your iphone do the following:

1. Open Settings from the Home screen. 
  2. Tap General.
  3. Scroll down to and then select Reset
  4. Tap the Reset Network Settings option.
  5. Enter your device passcode..
  6. Then tap to confirm network settings Reset.

Once the Reset is completed, your phone will restart automatically.

Hope it helps

Jan 1, 2021 12:19 PM in response to avongugg

avongugg wrote:
My new iPhone works perfectly as is...

Except for the vulnerabilities to malware that are patched in iOS 14.3 and these problems that 14.3 fixes:

This release also addresses the following issues:

• Some MMS messages may not be received
  • Some Messages notifications may not be received
  • Contact groups failed to display members when composing a message
  • Some videos would not appear correctly when shared from the Photos app
  • App folders may fail to open
  • Spotlight search results, and opening apps from Spotlight may not work
  • Bluetooth could be unavailable in Settings
  • Devices could be prevented from charging wirelessly
  • MagSafe Duo Charger could wirelessly charge your iPhone at less than the maximum power
  • Wireless accessories and peripherals using the WAC protocol could fail to complete setup
  • The keyboard would dismiss when adding a list in Reminders while using VoiceOver
  • Made for iPhone hearing devices could have sound quality issues when listening to audio from iPhone
  • Lock Screen could become unresponsive on iPhone 12 mini

Other than these, your iPhone is working perfectly.

WiFi Speeds (iPhone 12 Pro Max)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.