Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 12 pro max camera issues

I was wondering if anyone could help me out, as i think i have a few issues with the 12 pro max camera.

1)First of all when i shoot a video at a light source or in a well lit area i notice lines across the screen that move with the camera suggesting what i'm seeing is a defect on the sensor anyone got any suggestions? Video at the bottom showing it

2)When taking a photo it is super laggy and seems to stutter when looking around on the camera screen.

3)Also it seems to suffer with really bad lens glare tried to take a picture of the sky and all i can see is the streetlights and it's noticeably very bad, is this common or a defective camera.

Below is a link to video to show the horizontal lines that appear on the video, for some reason youtube didn't upload in full res so it's harder to see but it's definitely still visible it's even worse when viewing at full 4k resolution and one is to demonstrate the issue with the lens flare which is notably very bad.

Ps i had to choose Iphone 11 Pro Max as 12pro max isn't listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KbwZnl6mrM

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 6:18 PM

Similar questions

105 replies

Nov 28, 2020 6:45 AM in response to HarryB25

I switched from Android just for the camera on the 12 Pro Max. I got it last night and I am so disappointed. My phone also picks up light reflections that move around when I move the phone. It’s worse than what is pictured here when you see the video it took. That’s not stars in the sky. It does the same with indoor pictures as well, as you can see on my window shade and the wall, a pattern of 3 green dots. I will be taking the phone back today. I think I will be taking the phone back today.

Nov 23, 2020 8:25 PM in response to HarryB25

I can confirm that some iPhone 12 Pro Max’s seem to have defective cameras or software. We have two iPhone 12 Pro Max’s in our house. When shooting videos (4K 60 Hz) of the exact same scene, at the exact same time, with the built-in Apple camera app, using exact same camera app settings one produces “normal” videos and the other produces videos with horizontal lines or banding across the top.

In the pair of screenshots, the screenshot from the “bad” camera is on the left.

The single screenshot is a bigger version from the problem camera to show more of the horizontal line details.

Dec 21, 2020 5:53 PM in response to Dfield339

**UPDATE** (Horizontal Lines)

I emailed the following still frame to Filmic Pro developers and this was their response regarding the horizontal lines over the guitar:

“Aha, thanks for sending in that info and the screenshot! That definitely helps me understand what's happening here. The lines that you're seeing are a hardware limitation of iOS devices that we occasionally see in oversaturated footage. While I don't fully understand the technical cause of it, our CTO has referred to it as "diode gain artifacts". This happens when ISO is at a high gain or the tonemapping system is pushing on a single-channel dominant color. The effect is visible in highly saturated footage, especially in the reds (as you discovered).

This is an effect that occurs on both mobile devices like iPhones and is an issue occasionally found in DSLRs (particularly in astrophotography), so it's unfortunately not something we're able to really fix as it is caused by the way the sensor hardware functions, but luckily this effect is avoidable by watching the preview screen when you're using high saturation as the grid lines do appear in the preview. Lowering saturation should minimize or remove the grid lines entirely.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards, FiLMiC Pro Support”

Dec 27, 2020 4:25 PM in response to HarryB25

Hi! I know that I’m late to the conversation but I wanted to weigh in as well. I bought the iPhone 12 Pro Max on pre-order and received it the day that it came out. I started noticing when I would try to take pictures of a TV or something with lights it would reflect like a “mirror”. (See images below) I made an appointment with Apple and took it in to show them and they replaced my phone for me immediately. Once I got home and set up the new phone because of Covid you cannot set up your new device in the store anymore. It started having the same issue so I will be bringing it back yet again tomorrow. You would think they would be on top of this kind of stuff for a $1200 phone. I guess the 12 an iPhone 12 only stands for $1200 as opposed to how far the phone has come since it’s first release. 😂 i’ve always been team apple and I hope that they fix this ASAP.

Nov 15, 2020 8:56 PM in response to HarryB25

My 12 pro max when I open a social media app like Snapchat, TikTok or Instagram I have tiny black lines going down my screen (top to bottom) if my camera is open. Only in the apps though, My regular camera app they don’t appear. The app’s IT people want me to take a screen video of it but when I try to record my screen they go away and I tried using a different phone to record it but the video isn’t clear enough.

Nov 16, 2020 1:37 PM in response to Matyby99

For issues with the 3rd party apps it’s possible the apps need an update to support certain settings. Possibly an issue handling the 4K (can’t recall which option but may include the videos Dolby feature since I notice those do not appear to upload to 3rd party social media apps correctly all of the time). The flares...this is a complaint that happens not just with Apple but with a lot of higher quality smartphone cameras...but it’s a complaint that gets amped up at each iPhone release.

Nov 19, 2020 8:54 AM in response to HarryB25

That is why I returned my 12 pro max when I got it on 11/13. I preordered at 11/6 5am.

The camera has issues as you will see the 12 pro had camera issues when closing up on object it would not focus.

My camera for the 12 pro max did not focus and actually my xs max camera is a lot better than the new iPhone.

I returned mine before it was too late.

iphone 12 pro max camera issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.