You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 12 Pro Max Display Flickering

Not perfectly black screen flashing (green ink).

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 11:32 PM

63 replies

Jan 19, 2021 12:44 AM in response to Community User

I have the exact same issue!!! For me when my phone is below 70% brightness, any dark grey or most notably black colours will have a green flickering to them like it’s some type of refresh rate issue. My screen in general doesn’t have a green hue to it 24/7, it’s just in dark environments below 70% brightness, it will flicker green badly.

does anyone know if this is a software fix or is it a hardware defect??? I hope it can be fixed via software.

Below is a photo taken on my 6s of my iPhone 12 displaying a #000000 black image at 50% brightness.

Nov 16, 2020 7:17 PM in response to Community User

Mine is doing the same thing . On Netflix load . Sometimes it the whole screen like it’s trying to decide what colors to use to make black . I’ve even seen it continue into a video turning everything in the video that’s supposed to be black green ! But mostly it’s just the left side and too left corner flickering green on dark screens or scenes . VERY annoying it gives the vibe that the phone was dropped and screen was damaged . Also .... I read this is a issue with iPhone 11 as well, so why hasn’t it been fixed yet ? Is this issue only affecting some phones ?? If so to whom do we get a accurate color displaying device in exchange ? If not , if all phones , FIX PLEASE

Nov 24, 2020 6:16 AM in response to Community User

I just noticed my 12 pro max screen flickering when I watched a YouTube video with black borders/bezels and screen would flicker between lcd like black level and pure black like oled. Then I screen recorded and went to the black wallpaper in iOS settings (any black background on iPhone will do the job) and sure enough you can see it flicker. Apple is working on a solution. We just have to wait. But to test this out keep brightness below 90% be in a completely dark room and try on the black iOS wallpaper and if it flickers you have a problem too.

Jun 29, 2021 10:38 PM in response to sergefromlebanon

Hey everyone! Definitely get a replacement! With the new one I’m noticing definite differences in the overall color of the OLED on the original phone. Can’t believe I didn’t notice the overall green/yellow tint! Not good! Wish they didn’t drag it out like this! Get your Limited Warranty replacement before your 1 year is up!

https://youtu.be/iQjMkkgXdaA

Dec 22, 2020 11:25 PM in response to Community User

I'm having the same issue with my iPhone 12 pro max. I've had it since release, and wasn't having any trouble with it until now. When watching YouTube, the black borders will flash from a sublte grey like it's an LCD screen then to pure black like OLED. This is really disappointing as it was working perfectly, and nothing damaging has happened to it (no drops, no water/liquid exposure). I really hope this isn't a physical defect that will take replacing the screen when the phone is practically brand new. Please find a solution Apple.

Jan 5, 2021 9:44 AM in response to Community User

Does anyone know when Apple is going to fix the iPhone 12 screen issues on dark mode? I have the 12 pro and it’s been 2 months with no news or updates to fix? It’s to the point that I’m tempted to get the galaxy S21 if they don’t fix it. I’m pretty upset that I spent 1000 dollars and was told to wait for a software update by Apple employees. How long do I wait? It’s a serious problem they need to fix it. It flickers a ugly glow (greenish tint) pretty much anytime the screen brightness on dark mode is below 90 percent while in basic apps like YouTube and Messages. SMH Apple where you at?

Jan 22, 2021 6:01 AM in response to JímJamJon

Initially I was told a software fix would be released just prior to Christmas. Frustrated that nothing was happening or even announced related to a fix, I started looking into what was out there on the net related to this issue. I found an article where someone described an internal company memo authorizing phone replacement due to the display issue. There is also a YouTube video showing a Chinese program that identifies which manufacturer made your display and showed the tendencies towards having this issue. I decided to schedule an appt at the Genius Bar and described the green flicker as the issue. They ran diagnostics on my phone. I described the issue to the tech. He said normally they would replace the display but since the phone parts are short supply they would just replace my phone with a new one. So this tells me there is no software fix that can resolve this. They’ve had more than enough time to figure out a software fix. They haven’t and they are still not publicly admitting this issue. The GB tech eluded to dealing with this a lot, but really never said they are or aren’t working on a SW fix. Go get your new phone is my recommendation.

Iphone 12 Pro Max Display Flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.