Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store apps do not install properly on a fresh install of High Sierra on internal SSD or HDD

I upgraded my iMac 27-inch Mid-2011 with a 240-GB SSD alongside the existing 2-TB HDD. After the upgrade, I tested and everything worked great using the existing High Sierra system on the 2-TB HDD.

I did a new install of macOS High Sierra from Apple over the internet on to the 240-GB SSD. It was a fast and error-free installation. The iMac started up fast from the SSD and I applied system updates.

I completed all configuration tasks (setup all my preferences and installed all my applications and utilities) and then I ran it like this for a couple of days trying things out.

When it was time to add my App Store apps I ran into a snag. All my purchased apps install but will not run. When I launch them they either generate an error report, or bounce once in the dock, or do nothing at all.

I also tried adding new free apps that were not attached to my account and they behave the same way. So, I did some troubleshooting things like trying a different login and playing with permissions. Nothing works.

I spent an hour today on a support call with Apple and they were not able to figure it out and recommended I take it to for Apple authorized service.

I gave up and reinstalled the operating system on the HDD and to my surprise the same issue is happening on the original drive; that was working just fine!

Has anyone else experienced this? Can I not have two internal drives?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 5:44 AM

Hope this helps everyone:

1. Open a terminal
  2. run the following command
sudo rm -f /Library/Keychains/crls/valid.sqlite3

I haven't tested, but I think a reboot is not even necessary. And this does survive a reboot.

It looks like this file may be used by "trustd". So worse case scenario, this will rebuid trustd's cache, so that should not affect the security of your system.

Enjoy!

Similar questions

447 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2020 5:44 AM in response to FrancoisQC

Hope this helps everyone:

1. Open a terminal
  2. run the following command
sudo rm -f /Library/Keychains/crls/valid.sqlite3

I haven't tested, but I think a reboot is not even necessary. And this does survive a reboot.

It looks like this file may be used by "trustd". So worse case scenario, this will rebuid trustd's cache, so that should not affect the security of your system.

Enjoy!

Nov 24, 2020 7:31 AM in response to GrenadeBait

If something that was launching isn't then it may involve certificates resolution. The article on the official Apple Developer Documentation feed may be a clue to the cause of apps not launching:

https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment-reference-ios/preparing-your-infrastructure-apdda9e027d2/web

==START QUOTE

Preparing your infrastructure to deploy in-house apps

Certificate validation

The first time a user opens an app, the distribution certificate is validated by contacting Apple’s OCSP server. If the certificate has been revoked, the app won’t launch. To verify the status, the device must be able to reach ocsp.apple.com.

The OCSP response is cached on the device for the period of time specified by the OCSP server—currently, between 3 and 7 days. The validity of the certificate isn’t checked again until the device has restarted and the cached response has expired. If a revocation is received at that time, the app won’t launch.

WARNING: Revoking a distribution certificate invalidates all of the apps you’ve signed with it. You should revoke a certificate only as a last resort—if you’re sure the private key is lost or you think the certificate has been compromised.

==END QUOTE

The OCSP protocol is used by sites and especially in commerce to validate certificates.

As a preliminary action-test on a temporary basis do the following:

• Block all connections to ocsp.apple.com in your hosts file (/private/etc/host). Use any Unix editor of your choice such as vim or nano (simpler). This file is used by network administrators to control access of the managed users to certain hosts and domains. Add the entry 0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com to this file. Test if the apps launch.
  • If the previous step didn't help disable System Integrity Protection. But first, check if it's enabled (it's safe to assume that for the overwhelming majority it is):
csrutil status 

If the output ends with "enabled" System Integrity Protection is enabled. Disable it booting from Recovery partition. Launch Terminal (search for it in Spotlight) and run the following command which is the automated reboot to Recovery without holding the combination ⌘-R:

sudo nvram -recovery-boot-mode=RecoveryModeDisk ; sudo reboot

You'll be prompted to enter your Mac password which you won't see while typing.

• In Recovery, from the menu bar, choose Utilities-->Terminal. Type the following command:
csrutil disable ; nvram -d recovery-boot-mode ; reboot

You'll be brought back to your Desktop screen. Now launch the apps. If they don't launch remove 0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com from /private/etc/hosts and enable System Integrity Protection. To enable, enter the same 2 last commands but replace disable with enable in the second one cited.

Nov 25, 2020 6:38 PM in response to FrancoisQC

ok, so here is another update. After extracting all certs from the .app, and looking at codesign0 (Apple Mac OS Application Signing), the cert does not have a CRLdp, so CRL revocation is not the issue. But it does have a AIA extension which points to the OCSP server at http://ocsp.apple.com/ocsp03-wwdr08.

Using "openssl ocsp" to verify the certificate, the OCSP server responds with a "good" response, meaning the certificate is indeed valid. Looking at the network trace of this OCSP request, we can see that the OCSP response is signed (ok, the response is secure), but extracting the signing certs from the pcap, the cert who signed the response is like this:

• Common Name: WWDR OCSP Responder MG2
    • Issued by: Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certificate Authority
      • the one expiring on Feb 7, 2023
    • Valid from: November 4, 2020 at 5:03:29 PM GMT-5:00
    • Valid until: December 16, 2020 at 5:03:29 PM GMT-5:00

This is strangely close to when people seem to have started experiencing issues...

Both the OCSP response signer and its issuer are not in the default System Roots keychain. And manually adding them to the System keychain does not help, the Apple Mac OS Application Signing certificate remains detected as revoked.

I don't want to block OCSP requests by modifying /etc/hosts, this is a bad security practice and does not address the real issue.

Nov 17, 2020 7:37 AM in response to GrenadeBait

Okay, I submitted a bug report so hopefully they can address the issue soon. Seems like may other threads are experiencing the same issue as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252030900

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252032870

I had wiped my SSD several times now and reinstalled a clean version of High Sierra, shortly after completing the install and getting past the "setting up your Mac" screen, the apps work initially once installed from the App Store (this is right after your screen boots up after the install process), and then they begin to crash shortly after and I get the same code signing error. This is definitely something on Apples end which I cannot seem to fix myself, and it seems that many of you continue to have the same issue, and do the same process as me. Anyways, take home message here, we just have to wait for apple to acknowledge the error and correct the situation. I highly suggest you all report this error as well so they can get the message quickly! Here is the link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Cheers

Nov 17, 2020 11:56 AM in response to GrenadeBait

Summary...

No matter what I do the vast majority of the apps don't work.

Details...

I have been working on this issue since last Thursday, inclusive. After more than five days of trying, including help from an Apple Support call, I'm ready to just sit tight and see if Apple acknowledges the problem and what they do, but time is running out for High Sierra support.

My testing, while not exhaustive, has been comprehensive. Utilizing three different Macs of varying age, configuration, updates, software, users, and Apple IDs.

Everything folks have suggested I have tried, with one exception. That exception was the formating with APFS instead of HFS+, which still doesn't work. So, the issue...

...is not hardware, so forget about how your Mac is rigged.

...seems isolated to High Sierra and the App Store apps.

...does not present on other macOS or OS X versions.

...seems to affect about 80% of apps tested.

...presents as a crash report, or a message that it is broken or incomplete, or nothing happens at all.

...maybe related to the type of app it is (32/64-bit, App Nap support, etc)

...crash reports all indicate code sign error.

Best Scientific Wild *** Guesses...

Something changed recently in App Store in regards to how apps are delivered and installed. It seems to correspond to the introduction of macOS 11 Big Sur and the imminent drop of future support for High Sierra (possible end of the year?). I'm not surprised because macOS 11 is a dramatic departure from the previous iterations with processor and software support for 64-bit Intel and ARM. Apple Silicon may be related.

In an effort to have only apps appear in the Big Sur App Store that will run on that new OS there may be something unintentionally affecting the app's appearance and function via the High Sierra App Store. Pure speculation... Apple is using the digital signing of apps to manage and control what the App Store presents to users of Big Sur and did not adequately test the impact on High Sierra because speculation is that High Sierra support drops and the end of this month (November).

Additional Observations...

I noted that when scrolling through the 'Purchased' page of the High Sierra App Store that some of the apps don't link to their product page but do in the Big Sur App Store. Example: SketchBook Express was added to my account in 2011 and is still listed in my Purchased items in the High Sierra App Store and in the Big Sur App Store. However, the behaviour is different:

• Big Sur App Store - I CAN load the product detail page but CAN NOT install SketchBook Express (make sense, this app probably needs to be updated by dev);

• High Sierra App Store - I CAN NOT load the product detail page but CAN install SketchBook Express (doesn't make sense because it installs and runs fine).

Another example is TextWrangler from way back.

• Big Sur App Store - I CAN load the product detail page but CAN NOT install TextWrangler (make sense, DOES need to be updated by dev);

• High Sierra App Store - I CAN NOT load the product detail page but CAN install TextWrangler (doesn't make sense it installs but doesn't run).

I'm starting to see that it is not widespread. A handful of apps work, but the vast majority don't work anymore in High Sierra after the change last week. On Wednesday last week, one of my favourite apps, the Magnet app from CrowdCafé was updated and worked on my old installation of High Sierra. On Thursday after the complete rebuild of the computer with a clean install of High Sierra the Magnet app doesn't work along with dozens and dozens of App Store apps I use. So Sad :(

Current discussions I'm aware of are:

der-Josh 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252032870

PeterPeterPeterPeter

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252030900

GrenadeBait

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252037712

(I wish I could change the title of mine because this has nothing to do with SSDs and HDDs.

Nov 18, 2020 12:39 PM in response to GrenadeBait

Did you see this???

stephán193

Nov 18, 2020 10:31 AM in response to GrenadeBait

I was introduced a solution that works with some apps. 

Open terminal and type:

sudo codesign —deep -fs - /Applications/Pages.app

After typing -fs - you can drag your desired application. I tried it with pages. While it now opens and gives me the option to either create a new document or open an existing one, it closes again after I chose one of said options. But with some other apps it actually worked.  

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252030900?answerId=253912973022#253912973022

Nov 20, 2020 7:21 AM in response to GrenadeBait

Reposting what I said in another thread, as this one here seems more alive...

---

Same issue for me. iMac 27, late 2009. Fresh re-install in the last 2 weeks, not sure when. HDD erased prior to reinstall. I had been struggling with the reinstall-from-USB as the first reboot after reinstall kept getting me the grey-progress-bar that never gets to the login screen, which is the reason why I attempted a clean reinstall. I once had issues with the GPU, which I resurrected few years ago by baking it (yes, it worked!!), and booting in safe mode after that clean reinstall allowed me to move forward and kept applying all High Sierra security patches up to 2020-006. Since I could only boot in safe mode and had GPU issues in the past, I tried the trick to move the .kext out so they won't get loaded. Bingo! I could now boot in normal mode (with slow graphics, but that is a start).

Then I ran into the issue discussed here. Only one app downloaded from the App Store: MS Remote Desktop. Same error, because of EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid). ok.

Looking at a MBP running Mohave, 2020-005 not yet installed, I ran into something interesting.

On the MBP, running "codesign -d -vvv /Application/Microsoft\ Remote\ Desktop.app" will show

Authority=Apple Mac OS Application Signing

Authority=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority

Authority=Apple Root CA

But running the same on the faulty High Sierra will show this:

Authority=(unavailable)

If the app can't validate to a trusted CA, that is one possible cause of the code signing error. Moving on, looking at KeyChain on High Sierra, "Apple Root CA" is present. However "Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority" is missing, while it is present on Mohave. I was hoping that downloading and installing the missing CA from https://www.apple.com/certificateauthority/ on High Sierra would get things to work again. It didn't. codesign still shows unavailable.

Another odd thing. "Apple Mac OS Application Signing" is not found in KeyChain on Mohave. So how does codesign builds the CA trust chain? Does a .app include signer / CA certificates?

If someone has a working High Sierra setup, I would be curious to look at the codesign output of any app installed from the AppStore, so I can see the Authority being listed.

Nov 22, 2020 3:04 PM in response to GrenadeBait

Users with access to an functioning startup disk or Time Machine backup may be interested trying what I did yesterday. I used the migration assistant (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981) to migrate the system, applications and user files on my internal HDD to an external SSD. I had done a clean-install of High Sierra to that SSD. It had the problem described above, i.e., downloaded App Store apps failed to run. This problem disappeared after the migration. I deleted Keynote and reinstalled from the AppStore. It launched and ran without problem.

Previously, I reported that installing to a SSD using the Recovery to restore from a Time Machine backup reformatted the drive to MacOS extended. The Migration Assistant did not change the format of the SSD which was formatted APFS.

The down side is that my SSD installation is not "clean" anymore. All those legacy files I hoped to loose by doing a clean install, got installed anyways, along with whatever file(s) corrected the problem.

At least now my 2011 iMac is noticeably more responsive running from the SSD connected to the thunderbolt port.

Nov 23, 2020 2:39 PM in response to sallai32

I haven't heard anything new; just more people experiencing the issue.

PeterPeterPeterPeter on a different related discussion is recommend we post to the following two links.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252030900?answerId=253955318022

Please help by reporting to Apple here https://apple.com/feedback

and here https://feedbackassistant.apple.com !

The more reports they get the better because it causes the issue to come to the surface making it more visible in the tons of problem reports Apple gets.

Nov 24, 2020 7:09 AM in response to FrancoisQC

I can sign into this forum in Safari. The link gives me a "Page Not Found" error. Even after I remove the comma at the end.

EDIT.

I can get to the idmsa.apple.com address if I use this

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/signin?path=%2F%2Fthread%2F252037712%3Flogin%3Dtrue&language=US-EN&instanceId=EN&appIdKey=529eb2b096d5a3d54162171f0f29ba797e602812660013123243e58bc7bedf56&rv=1

App Store apps do not install properly on a fresh install of High Sierra on internal SSD or HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.