Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Big Sur update, deleted mail and junk mail disappeared from view

How to re-find and re-install deleted mail and junk mail folders in mail browser. Thank you!

ps: I wrote High Sierra because Big Sur was not available

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 9:44 AM

Hey, I was having the same issue and found this thread, hoping for an answer...

Eventually, I figured it out by myself :-)

At the top of the left mailbox list you can see the small title "Favorites".

When you hover over it, there's a + sign that appears:

Click on it and now you can had plenty of "mailboxes" of all kinds.

That's where you can find the "All junk" and "All trash" that you and I were looking for.

hope this helps!.

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 9:44 AM in response to Annadelf

Hey, I was having the same issue and found this thread, hoping for an answer...

Eventually, I figured it out by myself :-)

At the top of the left mailbox list you can see the small title "Favorites".

When you hover over it, there's a + sign that appears:

Click on it and now you can had plenty of "mailboxes" of all kinds.

That's where you can find the "All junk" and "All trash" that you and I were looking for.

hope this helps!.

Nov 16, 2020 4:22 AM in response to Annadelf

In addition to being obscure, there's a bug here.

• If the Favourites bar is set to visible (View → Show Favourites Bar) then while the bar is visible the Favourites (+) dropdown is no longer shown and it's not possible to access items such as All Junk and All Drafts.
  • If the Favourites bar is set to invisible, then the Favourites (+) dropdown is correctly displayed and accessible.

Dec 21, 2020 1:04 PM in response to semi-Luddite

This may help in finding a few things that may not be readily visible after upgrading to Big Sur (as I found).

I couldn't find my "Junk" folder . . . and found in another post that if you hover your cursor over the upper lefthand of your inboxes' and folders' left column at the small, dimmed "favorites" header, a popup option appears, showing a plus sign (+) in a circle. Click on that and a small popup window appears where you can add other mailboxes (as in my case, the Junk mailbox access).

Nov 20, 2020 5:48 AM in response to Annadelf

I've spoken to Apple support about this problem. While you can add a folder called trash or junk to your mailbox, it does not fix the problem. After updating to Big Sur deleted messages in mail will disappear. They will not appear in any other folder, whether it's listed or not. This is a problem with the update and needs to be fixed by Apple. Apple Support, tier 2, could not fix it because it's a software issue. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Dec 16, 2020 5:21 PM in response to Annadelf

I installed Big Sur on my 2015 MBP, and also bought a new M1 MBP with Big Sur. My private mail supplier is one.com. When I configured their IMAP mail, by the book, in my brand new M1 thousands of mails just vanished, including the folders they were placed in. "Sent" was empty. I tried making new folders directly on the web, and they became visible in Aplles "Mail". Saved remaining mails into these new folders. But after right clicking and emtying the trash, all of these brand new folders also disappeared from the Mail application, again over a thousand e-mails. And they where deleted in the cloud mail IMAP-server as well. The new Mail application and/or Big Sur is completely useless in the state it is in now.

Dec 17, 2020 9:57 AM in response to zoey390

I lost even more emails, had like 25 folders in my inbox. When emptying the trashcan, all those folders, including the emails, was deleted. And of course they were deleted from the mail server as well. Luckily my gaming-PCs were offline, so I could make a fresh backup and restore everything, via Outlook on Windows. After speaking with Apple Support we tried again. Made a fresh account in the Mac and set the mail up again. Same story. What's remarkable is that Outlook works flawless on the Mac, but not Apples Mail-application.

After Big Sur update, deleted mail and junk mail disappeared from view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.