Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove GarageBand update notice since I can't upgrade to Big Sur

My iMac (late 2013) just missed the Big Sur eligibility cutoff. The App Store application offers a GarageBand update, but when I try to install it, I get the error, "GarageBand can't be installed on "Macintosh HD" because macOS version 11 or later is required." Catch-22.

I want to eliminate the GB update from the number of available updates in the badge on the App Store icon in my dock. If that's the only update pending, there would be no badge on the App Store icon; if there is a GB update and another update pending, the badge would read "1", etc. I want to suppress the update notification for GarageBand only. I don't want to suppress all update notifications.

I have tried the "Hide Purchase..." option for GB in the App Store. This seems to have no effect. I have read lots of other potential solutions, but none seem to be able to hide updates for one application only. If anyone knows a way to do this, I'm all ears!

(P.S. to Apple: Really? It's bad enough I can't install Big Sur, but do you have to rub salt in the wound by teasing me with an app update I can't install?)

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 8:48 AM

OK. I've managed to get rid of the annoying update badge (using TimeMachine only) on my iMac Late 2013 running Catalina 10.15.7.

First, make sure you have a TimeMachine backup which includes GarageBand 10.3.5 (or make one).

Second, delete the GarageBand App** by dragging the App icon in Launchpad to the trash. Restart your machine and the red badge will no longer be showing in the App Store icon.

Third, now open a Finder window, select Applications and then enter TimeMachine.

Fourth, Select the latest backup and the finder window will show that last backup's Applications window.

Lastly, scroll down and right click on the GarageBand App icon and choose restore. when it asks "where to" select your Applications folder.

GarageBand will then re-installed and be ready to use.

Obviously, make sure you have backed up all your projects before attempting this.

** do NOT delete this App without a backup as you will NOT be able to re-download it from the App Store.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Jeff Fischer1

OK. I've managed to get rid of the annoying update badge (using TimeMachine only) on my iMac Late 2013 running Catalina 10.15.7.

First, make sure you have a TimeMachine backup which includes GarageBand 10.3.5 (or make one).

Second, delete the GarageBand App** by dragging the App icon in Launchpad to the trash. Restart your machine and the red badge will no longer be showing in the App Store icon.

Third, now open a Finder window, select Applications and then enter TimeMachine.

Fourth, Select the latest backup and the finder window will show that last backup's Applications window.

Lastly, scroll down and right click on the GarageBand App icon and choose restore. when it asks "where to" select your Applications folder.

GarageBand will then re-installed and be ready to use.

Obviously, make sure you have backed up all your projects before attempting this.

** do NOT delete this App without a backup as you will NOT be able to re-download it from the App Store.

Nov 16, 2020 12:45 PM in response to Jeff Fischer1

You may want to send feedback to Apple to fix the problem at the App Store. You should not be offered to update to the new universal version of GarageBand, especially developed for Big Sur. and Macs with the Apple Silicon M1 processor. Apple has to fix this at the AppStore. The feedback form is here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/garageband.html

Nov 25, 2020 12:25 PM in response to boblishman

Thanks! And FWIW, I simply moved GB to the trash can and did not empty it. On restart, the App Store badge was gone, and the update no longer listed. I then simply "Put Back" GB from the trash, and still no badge. I restarted again just to be sure the modified solution would survive that, and it did. So (at least for me) no restore from TimeMachine needed.

Nov 25, 2020 12:58 PM in response to boblishman

Are you sure about not being able to re-download it? In the past, if the current version is incompatible, the App Store would offer to let you download the latest version that is compatible.

Of course, in the past, they wouldn't offer an update that can't be installed either, so this may be an exception to the rule. Hence the reason I'm asking if you've tried it.

(Personally, I'm just ignoring the app badge hoping that Apple will either release a new update that is Catalina compatible or an update to the App Store that will stop showing incompatible updates. If neither happens, I'll eventually upgrade to Big Sur once I'm sure that there are no catastrophic bugs and my key apps are all compatible.)

Remove GarageBand update notice since I can't upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.