Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing GarageBand Update in App Store

With the rollout of macOS Big Sur I was presented with an update for GarageBand in the App Store. Unfortunately it would not update since my MBP was not at OS level 11.

After repeated attempts (and repeated failures) to install macOS Big Sur, and web sites indicating a problem with the install, I looked into it further last night and discovered that my early 2013 MBP 15" Retina, running the latest version of Catalina, has reached its OS limit.

Thanks Apple. I should have realized from my years working with industrial computer systems that every piece of hardware and software has a life expectancy. It may work fine, but updates - not so much!

Long story short, I used App Cleaner & Uninstaller and got rid of GarageBand (never used it) and its associated files, plus a few apps and files. That didn't fix the problem of the GarageBand update still showing up in the App Store update list.

How do I get rid of the annoying red circle on the App Store icon? There is no way to do that within the app store and one internet solution to delete (move to desktop) the library files from com.apple.appstore didn't work either.

Any other ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 11:43 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did, however fix the problem. I deleted the trash but there was one folder related to GarageBand that could not be deleted "due to it being used by the system". This was call Apple Loop, or GarageBand Loop and contained all of the various sounds used by the app. I restarted my Mac to reset things, then was able to delete the folder, after which the GB update disappeared from the App Store.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2020 11:43 AM in response to Dah•veed

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did, however fix the problem. I deleted the trash but there was one folder related to GarageBand that could not be deleted "due to it being used by the system". This was call Apple Loop, or GarageBand Loop and contained all of the various sounds used by the app. I restarted my Mac to reset things, then was able to delete the folder, after which the GB update disappeared from the App Store.

Nov 28, 2020 3:54 AM in response to gordonvp

The App Store knows what's on your Mac by the Spotlight Index. Re-index your Mac and it may catch up that you don't have this app.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.0.1; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.2; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.2.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.2  HomePods, audioOS 14.1 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Removing GarageBand Update in App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.