Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apparently Garageband updated itself in the background today & is no longer working with Big Sur

What do I do?

Can I uninstall Garageband & reinstall an older version (I don't run a backup).

Thanks

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 6:13 AM

Try starting in safe mode and starting it:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

9 replies

Oct 20, 2021 8:16 PM in response to Keith Barkley

The entire program!

It simply bounces a couple of times then freezes/"not responding".

I bought a Native Instruments M32 Controller a while back & it came with barrows full of software including Cubase, Steinberg etc. I've had everything working but tended to stay away from said "extras", using only Garageband for recording Vox, Guitars & Bass... I want to uninstsall & reinstall but not sure if it will work.

I don't keep (have) a backup system but I WILL be buying an external HD asap.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,

Dale

Oct 24, 2021 1:18 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks Keith,

I did this & it didn't help - I ended up calling Apple & after nearly an hour we worked out that it was, more than likely, an issue with 3rd party software that was interfering.

Steinberg software was the culprit - asking for eLicense renewal (which I had no idea about) futhermore, I couldn't find the process on doing so.

I've deleted ALL 3rd party software, restarted the mac & hey presto... I have Garageband!

Will definitely remember this one - I've contacted Steinberg & Native Instruments who need to be aware this is a big issue.

Cheers

Apparently Garageband updated itself in the background today & is no longer working with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.