Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - Keyboard shortcut key for deleting messages in the Messages app?

It appears there's no longer a delete shortcut key in the Messages app for Big Sur.

Is there a way to set one up?

There's also no 'X' at the end of selected message to delete.

The functionality now is to right click on the message and select delete.

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 7:44 PM

Perfect, I added it and used the exact name in the Messages app.

1) Add the shortcut via the Keyboard/Shortcuts tab

2) Select App Shortcut

3) Use the drop down to find the Messages app

4) Click on the + option while selecting on All Applications

5) Type in the exact name of the menu you wish to setup up a shortcut for (e.g., Delete Conversation...)

6) Pick the shortcut keys and done

7) Check the Messages app and now there is a shortcut key for deleting a converstion

73 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 7:44 PM in response to Barney-15E

Perfect, I added it and used the exact name in the Messages app.

1) Add the shortcut via the Keyboard/Shortcuts tab

2) Select App Shortcut

3) Use the drop down to find the Messages app

4) Click on the + option while selecting on All Applications

5) Type in the exact name of the menu you wish to setup up a shortcut for (e.g., Delete Conversation...)

6) Pick the shortcut keys and done

7) Check the Messages app and now there is a shortcut key for deleting a converstion

Feb 4, 2021 10:56 AM in response to davidrye

After selecting App Shortcuts, click the Add button ( + ) to create a new shortcut.

Choose the app it applies to (Messages) and type in the name of the command as it appears in the menu.

Click in the Shortcut field and type the command you want to use to invoke the menu item.

Instructions, here: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 1, 2020 6:11 PM in response to victorcao

The irony is that Apple support page says all you need to do is press delete after selecting the message 🤦🏻‍♂️:
https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/keyboard-shortcuts-ichtc78b3bff/mac

No, it doesn't. It says you can delete a message by selecting it, then pressing the delete key.

This thread is not about deleting a message. It is about Conversations.

A message is a single item in a Conversation. Selecting one and pressing the delete key will delete the message after confirmation.

Feb 12, 2021 8:01 AM in response to MarkRLucas

So I tried the lame-o suggestion with the shortcut key. Really useless - when the action is greyed out in the message menus.

The "X" was perfect and was not an issue If i am specifically placing my mouse on the "X" i am intentionally looking to delete. why do I need to confirm delete. history of messages is always there. Simply if it was not broken, then why fix it what is not broken. Feels like a a bigger mouse trap.

The swipe is not even acceptable, But this is HIGH FRICTION - which goes against all of Apples principles.

1. Swipe Left with Two fingers ( Sort of more inconvenient/problematic on a mouse )
  2. Click the Delete,
  3. Click on the Confirm

Lastly a major point, apparently the designer and even the developer may be out of touch with Fitts's Law

Viola - Formula for Complete Disaster. I preferred the Old Apple Low Friction, form and design.

Nov 18, 2020 10:34 AM in response to Steve_lad_GB

They must have dropped that functionality on that dialog box in Big Sur.

I've used it on other dialogs in other apps, but maybe they are stripping it out or just failed to implement it on Messages "Delete Conversation…" Cmd+<first letter of button> was fairly common on most macOS apps.

I suppose the next best thing is to turn on "Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls" in the Shortcuts tab of Keyboard system prefs. You would then need to tab to the delete button and hit spacebar to activate it.

Nov 24, 2020 1:40 PM in response to MarkRLucas

If they gave ANY weight to the input from beta users like me and MANY others we wouldn’t be in this boat... I have responded with the feedback app on my Mac regarding several issues I’ve come across and NEVER even received a note back from them... And YES - I did send them a feedback on this very issue like 4 beta releases ago... oh well I (we) tried....

Big Sur - Keyboard shortcut key for deleting messages in the Messages app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.