Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine will not back up using big sur

Anyone having problems with TM back up after installing big sur. It took me 2 days to finally get a back up. It kept crashing. First aid could not fix it so what I had to do was go into recovery mode every time and was able to fix my external hard drive and reboot and start the back up, it would go so far and crashed again. I had to keep doing this for 2 days to finally got a full backup. But now it keep crashing again on tells me TM can not back up. Anyone else having this issue? Any recommendations on how to solve this? Or should I just turn off TM?

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 12:25 PM

Time Machine backups under Big Sur, now require your TM drive to be formatted as APFS. I have seen other people suggest getting another hard drive for TM backups, or saving your last OS' TM backup, if necessary to revert back to your old OS, and then erasing and formatting the drive to APFS. The latter is what I intend to do once I decide to do the update.

Please see this article:What's new in the updates for macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 12:25 PM in response to starfire03

Time Machine backups under Big Sur, now require your TM drive to be formatted as APFS. I have seen other people suggest getting another hard drive for TM backups, or saving your last OS' TM backup, if necessary to revert back to your old OS, and then erasing and formatting the drive to APFS. The latter is what I intend to do once I decide to do the update.

Please see this article:What's new in the updates for macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

Jan 7, 2021 2:41 PM in response to starfire03

I reformatted 2 different brands of ssd backup disks to APFS. the problem is that once you add them to timemachine its charges it to APFS case sensitive .I think this is the problem. I have been in touch with Apple and they acknowledged there is a problem but still working on a fix until today. the funny thing is that the same disk with the same formatting backed up 330 gb on my 2013 Mac with Big Sur, in 40min!!! maybe different firmware.

but still no news from Apple and still no backup!

time machine will not back up using big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.