Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine keeps failing to complete backup

Have had this issue for about a week. Doesn't appear to be my backup drive. Backups are slow (this is a one-year old backup drive), and when the back up fails (about once a day) the only remedy I have is to delete the temporary backup file on the backup drive, turn off "Back up automatically", restart, and then it works. I'm thinking this is an issue within Big Sur. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 12:11 PM

It could be a damaged/corrupt file on your boot drive that is causing the problem.

boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run First Aid on your boot drive. If you get any error indications rerun First Aid till there are none. Then reboot normally and try TM again.

If you still have problems try running First Aid on the TM drive. That will take a lot longer due to its complex ecosystem of privileges and hard links. So be patient.

How much data is being backed up?

How big is the TM drive?

How much free space do you have on the boot drive? On the TM drive?

Have you installed or run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 12:11 PM in response to Ed2U

It could be a damaged/corrupt file on your boot drive that is causing the problem.

boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run First Aid on your boot drive. If you get any error indications rerun First Aid till there are none. Then reboot normally and try TM again.

If you still have problems try running First Aid on the TM drive. That will take a lot longer due to its complex ecosystem of privileges and hard links. So be patient.

How much data is being backed up?

How big is the TM drive?

How much free space do you have on the boot drive? On the TM drive?

Have you installed or run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac?

Jun 6, 2021 2:58 PM in response to Old Toad

• Rebooted and ran disk utility on boot drive. No problems found.
  • Boot drive has 2.24 TB available of 3.12 TB
  • Back up drive has 6.48 TB available of 8 TB
  • Normally it's backing up 1GB or less on an average TM run (currently backing up 884.1 MB)
  • I have CleanMyMac X on my computer and have been using it for years with no issues or conflict ever with TM (great app btw)
  • I have previously run Disk Utility on my back up drive and no issues to be found there either. Willing to run it again.
  • TM seems to take an inordinate amount of time to back up

Jun 6, 2021 3:20 PM in response to Ed2U

CleanMyMac is considered by most of the experienced contributors to these forums to be akin to malware. What was is not necessary what is good now. Uninstall it according to the developer's instructions and make sure there are no residual support files for it left over by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For CMM files you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

The more sophisticated systems get (and more protected) the less compatible are "many of what used to work" apps.

Time Machine keeps failing to complete backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.