Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Time Machine Backup Not Completed"

Has anyone encountered their Time Machine not continuing to backup?

After a restart everything works fine and will back up on the hour for a few sessions. Then after the computer goes into a power nap, or sleep overnight, the next time I wake it up I get the "Time Machine Backup Not Completed" notice. It doesn't respond to the "Back Up Now" command either. If I restart the computer, it will start backing up again until it naps or sleep.

I've erased, reformatted and reconnected the backup disk to time machine last week; no change to the situation. My power saving settings have power nap enabled. This problem started after I updated to Big Sur 11.6 on an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017). I also ran first aid on the backup drive and it is fine with no errors.

Any suggestions to this problem would be appreciated.

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 3:52 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and and try to backup for there. Reboot normally and try backing up again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2021 3:52 PM in response to mrkp911

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and and try to backup for there. Reboot normally and try backing up again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 5, 2021 3:08 PM in response to mrkp911

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Over the last few days I tried all the suggestions and still encountered issues with the backups not being consistent and failing. I did however solve the issue. I run a Western Digital HD for my backups. I uninstalled the WDDriveUtilityHelper and TWDDriveUtility software. Then a did a full shutdown and restart. Everything seems to be working again. I have not received the "Time Machine Backup Not Completed" notice for the last couple days, and backups are consistent with the times I have used my iMac.

"Time Machine Backup Not Completed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.