Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restore: Unknown error 9 060E.0000

I am trying to fix my mother's iPad pro which spontaneously has stopped working (no physical accident or known damage). The iPad won't turn on at all, including a hard reset. When plugged into a MacBook Pro, the MacBook pro recognises it is in recovery mode and only gives the option to restore it and erase everything. When this option is selected, the apple logo appears, a blank progress bar appears, and then it fails and an error message on the MacBook is shown saying Unknown Error 9 060E.0000. I have tried this process both in DFU and Recovery mode to no avail.

I have tried multiple different cables, software on the MacBook pro is up to date, and i'm now at a loss as to what else can be done apart from send it in for repair which is out of my £ at the moment.

Has anyone experienced this or a similar issue and has any suggestions as to what I can do?

Any suggestions most welcomed :)

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 2:56 AM

Has anyone had any help with he above? My iPad is still not connecting for a restore - have tried with two Macs now and to no avail!!

Not sure how to resolve the issue: disabled device and cannot restore it via the suggested steps...

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 17, 2020 11:04 PM in response to izzyzb1

I have had this happen three times now on my 2015 9.7" iPad Pro.

The device becomes unresponsive and does not respond to a hard reset.

Plugging it in to the Mac gives me the message

Your Mac has detected an iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used.

Running the restore process, the screen comes on with the apple logo, and the restore process starts, but then it fails with the Unknown error (9) 060E.0000

The first time it happened, was when the battery went flat, I kept trying the hard reset for several days (in desperation) and eventually the iPad Booted.

The second time, the iPad just crashed in when I was using it. Again restore was failing, but after trying restore a few times, and then trying hard reset again a few times, it booted.

The third time was yesterday, I started the update process to 14.3 - battery was less than 50% so I plugged it in and left it updating. When I came back a while later the iPad was unresponsive and did not respond to hard reset.

Again, on trying to restore I got the same error.

1st attempt the iPad didn't respond at all.

2nd attempt the Apple logo showed and the device started to boot.

on the 3rd restore attempt the iPad booted to the login screen, so I quickly unplugged it from the Mac.

The first time it happened I assumed that it needed a new battery so i contacted an official Apple Repair centre here (there are no apple stores in the Czech Republic) but the told me there is no battery service available and all they could do was give me a replacement device under the Apple Exchange program. But the cost of the replacement device is extortionate - more than $600! No way is anyone going to pay that for a 5 year iPad Pro model. The exchange program makes sense if the device is relatively new but not for an older device.

So far, I have been lucky to get my iPad going again each time.

I hope my experience helps others.

Jan 15, 2021 11:02 AM in response to Peter from Prague

Thanks, did that work for you? I've tried about 30 times with about 5 different cables and still no luck. It just doesn't seem worth spending the £500+ for an apple "repair" as it is out of warranty. Do you think there are places that will replace the charging port themselves? I can't find any mobile repair places that are willing to. Thanks :)

Unable to restore: Unknown error 9 060E.0000

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.