Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sidecar not working on Big Sur and iPad OS

Hi

Sidecar is not working on Big Sur and iPad OS. Anyone else encounter this problem?

System Preferences > Sidecar > Connect to > No devices

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 7:39 PM

Is you iPad compatible?

Sidecar system requirements

Sidecar requires a compatible Mac using macOS Catalina or later and a compatible iPad using iPadOS 13 or later.

Additional requirements

94 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 7:39 PM in response to aliffm

Is you iPad compatible?

Sidecar system requirements

Sidecar requires a compatible Mac using macOS Catalina or later and a compatible iPad using iPadOS 13 or later.

Additional requirements

Nov 18, 2020 4:01 PM in response to aliffm

THIS SOLUTION WORKED FOR ME!

TLDR - Sign out of iCloud on your iPad and sign back in.

If you're trying to use your iPad as a 2nd monitor with a MacBook and Sidecar, sign out of iCloud on your iPad and sign back in. You'll receive prompts on your Apple devices to confirm the sign-in on the iPad. Afterwards, go to your MacBook where you should see a notification badge on your System Preferences. Click into Apple ID where you'll be prompted to enter your iPad passcode as well as your MacBook password. Once everything goes through, you should be able to go back to Sidecar in System Preferences and see your device as an option.

Hope this helps!

Nov 22, 2020 1:35 AM in response to aliffm

I was getting so frustrated with this issue too. I didn't try the iCloud sign-out/in method, but did this instead:

1) Restart Macbook

2) On iPad, go to Bluetooth Settings, click on MacBook Pro, and then Forget Device

3) On Macbook, go to Bluetooth Settings and remove the iPad by clicking the x on the right side when you hover over iPad. iPad will disappear from the Devices list, but should shortly reappear with the “Connect” button

5) On iPad Bluetooth Settings, your MacBook Pro should also now show up under Other Devices. Click on it, and you should get a Connection Request pop up on your MacBook Pro. Click Connect.

6) iPad should now show up available to connect using either:

• Display options from the Menu Bar
  • Sidecar Preferences or
  • Display Preferences

Good luck!!

Nov 18, 2020 8:06 AM in response to MediaPimp

Similar issues here after installing Big Sur. Biggest issue is using the iPad 6th gen for sidecar as a wired connection to my iMac 2018 (i5 6 core). Weirdly get a cyan square middle of the iPad screen, which according to apple support when connected with me showed as a desktop space (not accessible locally though). Resetting iCloud setting provided temporary relief for a couple of days and this has now reverted back to giving the cyan square on the iPad when wired. It seems more tolerant of connecting via WiFi, which works as long as you have power, with fewer sporadic disconnections.

Combined with poorer boot and login performance so far, for me Big Sur has proven to be a big mistake to have installed.

Nov 19, 2020 3:01 PM in response to rickyrag10

Someone mentioned before and worked for me: turn off your Macbook. logout iPad from iCloud totally; restart it, log in to iCloud again. Restart your Macbook. Check if they are in the same wifi, bluetooth and handoff on. Go to control center>display and it should show the iPad. Pick ir for mirroring/sidecar

This worked for me. Just signing out and back in did not.

Nov 23, 2020 3:38 AM in response to imre145

OK finally it works. I noted that an older iPad which I still have and use occasionally, was listed with the same name as the new iPad Pro (which I used with Sidecar as the second screen while having Catalina). I removed the old iPad from the iCloud account, and after that I could connect the iPad Pro with the laptop and use it as a second screen. Whether the deletion of the old iPad was the solution or not, I cannot tell. I only know that in Catalina this was not a problem.

Nov 25, 2020 8:43 PM in response to TRE757

An ex exercise in futility. Didn't change the behavior on my iPad Pro (gen 1) and MacBook Pro 15in (2019). Can use sidecar when wired but not when wifi/bluetooth are on. No change in behavior after signing out of iCloud as described above on iPad Pro. Apple states they're aware of the issue but offered no resolution.

Nov 25, 2020 9:04 PM in response to Zathrak

Update: This solution on its own didn't resolve the issue for me. However, it led me down the right path.

Signing out of iCloud and back in as written above didn't change the behavior on my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro 15in (2019). I can use sidecar when wired but not when wifi/bluetooth are on. Apple states they're aware of the issue but offered no resolution.

While I was in my iCloud devices list, I saw that I had two iPad Pros with the same name (it was replaced). I removed the old one of the same name and was immediately able to connect to sidecar wirelessly again.

One thing to note, this was not an issue in Catalina, only an issue immediately after the Big Sur upgrade. It's been a few months since the iPad was originally replaced and I use sidecar daily.

Hope this helps add some clarity.

Sidecar not working on Big Sur and iPad OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.