You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to send MMS messages on iPhone 12 pro

I am trying to send a photo via messages on my new iPhone 12 pro and even though MMS Messaging is enabled I receive an error message saying “MMS Messaging needs to be enabled to send this message”, any ideas on how to fix?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 10:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 6:27 PM

This started not working for me today. Wife has an Android. Not sure if that matters. I've sent her pictures this way 100 times today. All software is up to date. 11 Pro Max user here. I even reset network settings. Nothing works. I'm trying to send from Messages on MacOS

61 replies

Dec 13, 2020 1:54 PM in response to calex02

I think this is a iOS issue not an issue with the phone carrier. I cannot send MMS to android users while using AT&T and Google Fi ( I have 2 SIM cards). Same message comes out. It worked a few weeks ago with no problem until iOS updated to 14.2.1. I believe 14.3 is suppose to release 12/14 (tomorrow). If it still doesn’t work it’s time to email Mr Cook cause I can’t get any answers from anyone at Apple.

Dec 17, 2020 8:30 AM in response to Kylie_99

I have a new 12Pro. Same problem. I went into Setting-to Messaging -to MMS. It showed that MMS was on. I literally slid it off and back on,and it is working! I was shocked that it was that easy for me. Verizon advised me to try this. In a similar case, they advised me to also restart my phone. I didnt need to for this, Good luck, its frustrating.

Jan 6, 2021 5:24 PM in response to Kylie_99

Kylie, I’m not sure if you ended up finding a remedy for problem yet, I found your post after experiencing the same issue...

MMS enabled, both in settings and via carrier. In Australia, our latest carrier format for mobile (cellular) data is 5G, which apparently optimises iPhone 12 and other new brands of smart phone using mobile data. But... possibly similarly in US, MMS and other forms of encrypted data can be blocked, both on wifi and mobile data.

This can be adjusted by changing SIM, either physical SIM or eSIM. Then I guarantee you will be able to send pictures, videos, group pictures, etc. Essentially you need to “dumb down” your iPhone 12’s abilities, using the predecessor of your current SIM. Your last phone did not have capabilities of this one, so it would not have blocked anything. This will not adversely affect your phone. Frankly, many of the so-called awesome features are a pain in the butt, Face ID sucks, I now only use PIN, and this new security feature is a massive irritation. So downgrade the SIM.

my last phone was iPhone X. No problems ever.... if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

Unable to send MMS messages on iPhone 12 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.