Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur Font Bug ?

macOS Big Sur Font Bug ?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 2:06 AM

12 replies

Jan 28, 2021 6:14 AM in response to rony-z

Hello

I updated to Big Sur yesterday. Now I cannot read most websites and a lot of email. Cannot figure out why.

I looked at the webpage source code and it's should these fonts could be:

font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

font-family:Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

I have these fonts active on my Mac Pro.

Here are the two sites I have screen shots of.

https://www.acx.com

https://www.html.am/templates/downloads/bryantsmith/asubtlegreen/

Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Cooch

Dec 23, 2020 9:05 AM in response to rony-z

I'm having the SAME issue with the ??? in my email, safari and other applications. First, SUPPORT asked me to go through the Font Book Checks. I don't use Font Book (because it's garbage) but I did a Validate Fonts and Restore Standard Fonts which did not fix the issue. Then I was told to Boot in Safe Mode and run Disk Repair (no issues) and finally told to REINSTALL the Operating System. None of these things fixed the issue. Now, Suitcase Fusion is being blamed because it has not pushed an update for Big Sur yet although the issue happens without it even running. It was FINE before Big Sur. This is clearly a DEVELOPMENT ISSUE pertaining to the OS itself.

Jan 30, 2021 12:31 PM in response to EV2Agency

Yep. I had all sorts of Font issues on Catalina that I did attribute to Suitcase Fusion and my solution was to put all my 'permanently activated' suitcase fonts into my User Fonts Folder and my Suitcase use was kept to a bare minimum. Everything was working great. Upgrade to Big Sur and now many of those fonts in my User Fonts Folder do not activate (most of them are oblique variations, but at least one common font - Helvetica Narrow - no longer works. At least one web page had displayed the question marks. I cleared font caches and verified fonts, etc... Big Sur has been a font cluster-f.

macOS Big Sur Font Bug ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.