Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have trouble adding a new contact or moving a contact to a group on my Mac.

Contacts on my Mac even with the new Big Sur OS are still very unstable. I can enter the name, usually, but when I move to phone number or email, it disappears. Contacts on Mac has been this way for months.

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 10:51 AM

Mick is clearly right. While I always appreciate efforts to help isolate and work around problems, with no offense intended, the suggested fix above reeks of throwing a series of untargeted help-desk steps at a problem that is a clear bug. (Oh, Mick, please first make sure your computer is turned on, and check this article if you are having trouble with that step: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-mac-doesnt-turn-on-mchlp2582/11.0/mac/11.0)

The value in these boards is two-fold: a) to receive advice and suggestions on how your particular issue might be fixed, if/when it is a unique problem, and b) to receive confirmation when your problem is not unique, which is very useful in determining whether or not what you're dealing with is due to your own specific configuration and use scenario, or instead due to a widespread software bug that will likely ultimately need to be fixed by Apple.

In no sane world should adding a contact to a group involve creating a new user account.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 10:51 AM in response to MickLead

Mick is clearly right. While I always appreciate efforts to help isolate and work around problems, with no offense intended, the suggested fix above reeks of throwing a series of untargeted help-desk steps at a problem that is a clear bug. (Oh, Mick, please first make sure your computer is turned on, and check this article if you are having trouble with that step: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-mac-doesnt-turn-on-mchlp2582/11.0/mac/11.0)

The value in these boards is two-fold: a) to receive advice and suggestions on how your particular issue might be fixed, if/when it is a unique problem, and b) to receive confirmation when your problem is not unique, which is very useful in determining whether or not what you're dealing with is due to your own specific configuration and use scenario, or instead due to a widespread software bug that will likely ultimately need to be fixed by Apple.

In no sane world should adding a contact to a group involve creating a new user account.

Nov 23, 2020 5:06 PM in response to MickLead

Mick,

I don't have a solution for you, but I've just really started looking at my contacts in Big Sur for the first time, and yeah, I can simply confirm that things are not right. And, by "not right", I mean not working a way that almost certainly won't be fixed by having someone post some link to a tangentially-related Apple knowledge base article, as so many people on these Apple Discussion boards are wont to do. In short, I believe it's a bug that Apple needs to fix.

My experience is exactly what you posted in the header.

Nov 23, 2020 8:08 AM in response to MickLead

Hi MickLead,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Apple Support Communities. We see that you're having an issue with adding contacts on your Mac, and we're glad to take a look with you.

Let's first take a look to see if which type of account you are using to add the contacts, since different internet accounts can all have different Contacts account.

For example, if this is happening while trying to add someone while using one Contacts account, try switching to a different account, and see if the issue still happens.

This explains about the different accounts:

Add contacts from iCloud, Google, and more to Contacts on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know what happens.

Take Care.

I have trouble adding a new contact or moving a contact to a group on my Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.