Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add a new macbook air to my og Time Capsule?

Planning on buying a new Mac Book Air and have an older version of a Time Machine ( circa 2010-11) that I use for backups. It has plenty of space on it (1.3 TB available of the 2 TB total). Can I simply add the new mac book to it? I'm not necessarily wanting to restore it all on the new computer as I am keeping the old one for games for the family, but I would like access to the stored files and such in addition to backing up the new laptop. Does that make sense and is that a thing? I have searched the forum and found some info but not exactly my question. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 9:53 AM

So since I'm keeping my old Mac anyway, if I should need to retrieve an old document, I could retrieve from the old mac book pro, right?

Correct

And secondly, I will just set up the new Mac book air to use the time capsule as its backup source?

Correct. When you do this, you will have two Macs backing up to the Time Capsule. The backups for each Mac are kept in separate files, so you will only be able to access the backups that a given Mac has made by using that Mac to view the backups. In other words, you won't be able to use the new MacBook Air to access backups that your "old" Mac has made and vice versa.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 9:53 AM in response to reneefromfairview

So since I'm keeping my old Mac anyway, if I should need to retrieve an old document, I could retrieve from the old mac book pro, right?

Correct

And secondly, I will just set up the new Mac book air to use the time capsule as its backup source?

Correct. When you do this, you will have two Macs backing up to the Time Capsule. The backups for each Mac are kept in separate files, so you will only be able to access the backups that a given Mac has made by using that Mac to view the backups. In other words, you won't be able to use the new MacBook Air to access backups that your "old" Mac has made and vice versa.

Nov 15, 2020 9:45 AM in response to reneefromfairview

Can I simply add the new mac book to it?

Yes, assuming you are asking about backing up the new MacBook Air using the Time Machine backup application on the MacBook Air.

......I would like access to the stored files......

You won't be able to access the Time Machine backups that your "old" Mac has made on the Time Capsule, but you might be able to access normal files and folders that may be stored on the Time Capsule hard drive.

We say "might" because there are no guarantees on this since Apple has added a lot of new security measures on new Macs that can make access to older files made on another Mac very difficult.

It is probably going to be be one of those situations where you won't know if something will work the way that you want until you try it out on your network.

Nov 15, 2020 10:21 AM in response to reneefromfairview

If for some reason you want to transfer data from backups that were made on your "old" Mac over to the "new" Mac, you can use Migration Assistant on your new Mac to copy files from a Time Machine backup of the old Mac over to the new Mac.

Migration Assistant is located on the new Mac as follows: Finder > Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant.

The Apple Support document linked below provides more information on this.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-us

Can I add a new macbook air to my og Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.