Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Using M1 - Compatibility with Epson Scanner

I know it's not yet out, but has anyone found information about the M1 Mac mini's ability to use the Epson Perfection photo scanner?

I have a Perfection V600. If the M1 version can run the appropriate drivers, I will consider buying the M1 version. If not, I'll hold off.

I note that:

• Epson's "ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.7 for Apple's Image Capture utility" was just updated for OS 10.15 on October 7.

• Epson's "Perfection V600 Photo Scanner Driver" and "Epson Scan 2 Utility v6.4.94" were updated for OS 11 on October 6.

Given that I like the Image Capture interface, I assume that Epson's "ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.7 for Apple's Image Capture utility" will need another update, but I am not sure. In any event, I take heart that Epson seems to be on top of things.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 11:29 AM

Zardon wrote:

I found the new driver on Epson's support page for the Perfection V600 scanner.

Is it running as native M1 or via Rosetta 2? When I tried to install it, I was prompted to install Rosetta 2.

5 replies

Nov 23, 2020 4:39 PM in response to Zardon

Zardon wrote:

Thank you.

Does "supports Big Sur" = "runs natively on M1"? Or does that not matter?

Just curious.

No it does not. I have an Epson Perfection V550 Photo scanner and the ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.8 for Apple's Image Capture utility that Epson provides needs Rosetta 2.

I still have my old MacBook Pro with Catalina that I will hold on to so that I'll be able continue scanning until DriverKit versions of the scanner drivers are available but I am not expecting this to happen any time soon. Most device companies are always late to join the party.

Nov 24, 2020 11:23 AM in response to DanThe

I checked today and discovered that on November 20, 2020, Epson had posted "ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.8 for Image Capture." Epson states that this package is, ". . . the ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.8 for Apple's Image Capture utility."

I downloaded and installed it and am now able to use Image Capture to run my Perfection v600 scanner. So far, it appears to work well, just as it did in macOS Catalina.

I found the new driver on Epson's support page for the Perfection V600 scanner.

Mac Mini Using M1 - Compatibility with Epson Scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.