Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Safari 14.0.1 File Selection button not working

I have a standard web form which has a file selector form field. This has worked for well over 10 years as it's the standard UI presented by Safari. Just noticed today after Safari upgraded to 14.0.1 (on the latest Mojave) that the button is dead: clicking does nothing. This same form continues to work in Chrome. Anyone else see this and have a workaround?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 9:34 AM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Nov 16, 2020 11:56 AM in response to bazaarsoft In response to bazaarsoft

I was told by an Apple advisor on a long phone call regarding this, that the update 14.0.1 was meant only for the Big Sur roll out and that Mojave users should not have updated. I was sent the update through Apple's update notification, so I think they screwed up.

Nov 16, 2020 11:56 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Nov 18, 2020 5:41 PM in response to bazaarsoft In response to bazaarsoft

I'm having the same problem. Upgraded to 14.0.1 with Mojave. Works just fine in Firefox. I'm still looking for a work around! Have you found one yet?

I should also mention that my husband is running Catalina and Safari 14.0.1. His file upload buttons work just fine.

Nov 18, 2020 5:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2020 3:10 AM in response to Ellyni In response to Ellyni

No sign of any action from Apple about this. bazaarsoft's comment suggests they may not fix it.

If nothing has happened by the beginning of next week I shall probably re-install Mojave OS. I hope that will get me back to an earlier version of Safari. It's surprisingly easy to do this if you have a good enough internet connection. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 Follow instructions for Intel processor. That page refers to re-installing Big Sur, but note that if you start up the computer holding ⌘-R to enter MacOS Recovery it will offer to re-install the version of MacOS you are currently using, i.e. Mojave

Nov 19, 2020 3:10 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 19, 2020 10:56 AM in response to Antony Warren In response to Antony Warren

I just downloaded the Mojave installer from the App Store, reinstalled Mojave and then upgraded everything (security patches, etc) except Safari 14.0.1, so I'm back to Safari 14.0.0 and won't make the same mistake twice.

Nov 19, 2020 10:56 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 20, 2020 3:38 PM in response to Skibster In response to Skibster

Yes, I have done the same successfully. Re-install Mojave, then go to Software Update from System Preferences twice, first to do Security Update 2020-005 and Supplemental Update 10.14.6, then Security Update 2020-006 but NOT Safari 14.0.1

The Security Updates take quite a long time, during which nothing seems to be happening, but if you wait long enough they do work.

My Safari file uploads work normally again now

Nov 20, 2020 3:38 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 25, 2020 4:15 PM in response to bazaarsoft In response to bazaarsoft

I am having the same issue. The main effect it is having is that I am a professor and it makes the course management software for my university (Blackboard) unusable with Safari. I now have to remember to use Firefox to sign in so that I can upload files to the CMS. The file chooser button just does nothing on Safari. I had been assuming this was just a problem with Blackboard as it is generally a clunky such-and-such, but just now I discovered that the same problem is happening to me on another site (the Dreamwidth journaling platform), so that is when I realized it is a more widespread Safari problem.

Nov 25, 2020 4:15 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: bazaarsoft

Question: Safari 14.0.1 File Selection button not working