Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phantom messages Apple CarPlay

CarPlay is showing blank messages from 12/31/00 in Messages. There is no number or anything associated with the messages. When you touch it, Siri asks what you want to say and when you tell her, she says something went wrong. There are no messages at all in the Messages app on my phone. Anyone had any luck clearing this out?

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 10:50 AM

We figured out the issue. In CarPlay, the Messages app is designed to show the first 10 conversations. If there are no conversations listed in the phone, CarPlay automatically generates 10 phantom placeholders. These are non-deletable and they will only show up in CarPlay. If you want them to go away, first start 10 conversations in Messages on the phone and then plug it into CarPlay. These messages will show up. If you want to get rid of the messages, delete all but 1 conversation and they should go away in CarPlay.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2020 10:50 AM in response to underdog387

We figured out the issue. In CarPlay, the Messages app is designed to show the first 10 conversations. If there are no conversations listed in the phone, CarPlay automatically generates 10 phantom placeholders. These are non-deletable and they will only show up in CarPlay. If you want them to go away, first start 10 conversations in Messages on the phone and then plug it into CarPlay. These messages will show up. If you want to get rid of the messages, delete all but 1 conversation and they should go away in CarPlay.

Nov 23, 2020 11:33 AM in response to underdog387

Hello underdog387,

It sounds like you're seeing some issues with CarPlay and Messages. We will be happy to help.

If you haven't already, can you tell us if you've tried restarting your iPhone to see if that helps? Restart your iPhone

If you have can you also make sure that your iPhone is updated to iOS 14.2 (14.2.1 on iPhone 12)? Find the software version on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If you're not, let's update: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You may also want to make sure your stereo is updated as well.

Please let us know if this helps. We're standing by.

Nov 28, 2020 10:16 AM in response to jeremy_v

I also have phantom messages from 2000. These messages are not in any other IOS or macOS devices I have. They only show in CarPlay. I have no way of deleting them. All versions of all devices are up to date. I have also had my iPhone replaced (totally different hardware) and they still show up.

This appears to be a issue with message sync. the same issue happens in the Apple Watch.. messages there never get deleted.

Phantom messages Apple CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.