Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inconsistent Text behavior in CarPlay

OS 15.4.1

iPhone 12 Pro

2017 Audi A4, USB connection

Ever since the latest update, I have seen weird and inconsistent behaviors in the Carplay txt app -- the Audi (and several other vehicles) uses a wheel/click input -- like BMW's idrive and so on, and the ability to send/reply/change by clicking the wheel on the appropriate button often doesn't work. The UI outline element is missing when this happens -- and I can still use voice prompts, but plainly something has changed/broken.

At first I thought it was Groups or iMessage related (mixed SMS/Android users for instance) But after a month or so of experiments, it happens to any and all text messages regardless of who's in them.

I've also seen some weird instances of apps launching/unlaunching and autoplay oddness.

Posted on May 13, 2022 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 1:40 PM

If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.

If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2022 1:40 PM in response to Stinkles

If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.

If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

May 13, 2022 2:03 PM in response to SravanKrA

Yes, the same issue happens with my wife's phone but only after the same OS update. Prior to that it was fine.

The audio device in my car is fine, up to date and Carplay functions perfectly with my daughter's iPhone 12 Pro, with the prior OS version. I have not updated her phone for that reason.

(and if Carplay were in "restricted" mode, none of the things I described would even be possible, so that's an odd suggestion)

Inconsistent Text behavior in CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.